Cress B23H kiln 240 V element questions

solene

Hi, I'd like to replace the element on my kiln . Unfortunately, this is the only model that has a broken link to the wiring diagram on the Cress website.

I wonder if both my elements are in parallel or in series because I think I need to proceed differently to check the ohm.

Upon calling them , I found out that my element should have 9.8 ohm for the top and for the bottom one. Does that mean it is the same element on the top and bottom of my kiln? I know they can be different elements depending on their position in the kiln on some models. I just want to make sure they are the same , interchangeable on my model.

I've attached the diagram for the 2 closest kiln to mine , the B23 H 203 V and the B18 H 240 V.

It seems like they both have 2 coils , wired in parallel , so I want to assume mine is the same.

How do you check the ohm when the elements are wired in parallel ?

A5C9245B-C965-4E9D-A864-397FC4843C1D.jpeg

C7158621-0488-4130-8704-2998D23B54BD.jpeg

Well, actually, the elements in those wiring diagrams are in series. There are 4 separate elements total, 2 in each of the sections. To measure the resistance of each section, apply the multimeter probes at the power inputs to the elements. The resistance will be the sum of the two individual elements. For example, in the B18 diagram, each section has two elements of 10.2 ohms each, which should measure as 20.4 ohms across the power leads. Thus using an Ohms Law calculator, that section running at 240V will draw 11.7 amps. Doubling that for both the top and bottom sections yields 23 amps total, which is slightly more than the stated 22 amps, but close enough to allow for some slippage and wear. Continuing the example for the 23H model, each section has a 7.8 ohm and 6.6 ohm element in series, for a measured total of 14.4 ohms across the power leads to the elements of that section.  At the specified 208V, each section is drawing 14.4 amps, which doubled for both sections of the kiln yields total amperage of 28.8 amps, which rounds to the specified 29 amps.

You correctly note that some kilns  have elements with different resistances. The B23 drawing you found is an example of that. In the top section, the element closest to the top is 7.8 ohms and the one in the middle is 6.6 ohms. The bottom section is the reverse, with the 7.8 ohm element closest to the base and the 6.6 ohm one in the middle. You say the Cress rep told you the top and bottom elements are 9.2 ohms. If we assume that your B23 is also rated as 29 amps total but at 240V (confirm that on the electrical rating plate on your kiln, I am just guessing here), then the amperage per each top and bottom section will be ~14.5 amps, which calculates to a resistance of ~16.5 ohms total for the two elements in series in the section. If one is supposed to be 9.2 ohms, the other must be 7.3 ohms.

11 hours ago, solene said:

Hi, I'd like to replace the element on my kiln . Unfortunately, this is the only model that has a broken link to the wiring diagram on the Cress website.

Looks like it's here http://www.cressmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/B23H-240-VAC.pdfimage.png.8958422daba6cabe203b2b3614c4059d.png

PS  Broken link showed asimage.png.2f521bcb06b924f4a91249c61a050a60.png
... and a google search for "B23H 240" (with the quotes) found it (even though access to the enclosing directory https://www.cressmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/ is forbidden). :huh:

Edited by PeterH

Price check what they’d cost you from Euclid’s vs from Cress, including shipping and exchange. It might be less to order from Ontario.

If you’re having trouble figuring out which elements you need and you’ve got a weird model either talk to Arturo at Cress (some of the others aren’t as knowledgeable) or call Euclids. Either one will get you sorted.