Brent Model CXC slow and jerky

TD Mom

We moved during COVID and had to store wheel for several years. It was covered and kept out of the elements in our carport. When turned on yesterday the wheel head is very slow and and not consistent speed.  Also reverse isn’t working any more and doesn’t always start when pedal is pushed. Where do I start with repairs or have I ruined the wheel? Thanks

You might check out the potentiometer that is in the foot pedal. This was a problem I had this last year as my shop got wet inside and the foot pedal was flooded. A replacement was easy to find, and it runs like new now. Otherwise check to see if the belts are in good shape or if anything has made a nest in the undercarriage.

best,

Pres

10 hours ago, TD Mom said:

I just tried to pull out the brushes and I can’t remove them… is there a trick or could they be corroded?  Will look at the pedal as well for water damage.  

Can you post a picture, the brushes should be spring loaded and slide in and out relatively freely. The brushes make contact with the commutator and it is possible for it to corrode and cause irregular operation. Likely one of the last things to expect but since you have indicated they appear to be corroded and do not slide in and out freely, they likely are corroded. Commutators corrode but are cleaned off by repeated use so when laid up with no use over time this can happen.

If all else proves good, then removing the commutator corrosion and brush housing corrosion may be necessary as well as a motor rebuild to remove accumulated carbon from the gaps in the commutator and any rust that may have grown on the other iron parts in the motor. (Armature and stator)

Anyway, hopefully not an issue and a last resort as this generally would be best rebuilt by someone who has experience with small electric motors.

A little about cleaning a commutator https://youtu.be/yV4B-bN814g

I've run into 4 Brent wheels in the last month that all have bad controllers. All are the black flat-panel controller that doesn't have toggles and switches- see pic below. It was a problem controller from day one and it can't be repaired, only replaced. If you have that controller there's a good chance it's the problem.

Have you brought the wheel indoors? I'm wondering if humidity is affecting the controller from being outdoors. Open up the control box and let it dry out for a couple of days and see if it works any better.

Unfortunately, all of your symptoms could be caused by a problem with the controller, motor, or pedal. The motor would be at the bottom of my list. The pedal potentiometer is $100 so not cheap to replace just for testing, but it is the most common problem.

1693922967_BrentControllers.jpg.966bf84b46912c99aa991e2b19966ce5.jpg