Amaco Kiln

MarleneK

Does anyone know anything about this kiln?  I think it needs new elements, but it is so old I’m not sure if they can even be replaced.  Any help is appreciated. 
MarleneK

65BB10BF-AF56-480C-AEBF-802E5584A1F4.jpeg

B15653D5-F445-4B07-AE4E-2E1746735620.jpeg

Edited by MarleneK
Autocorrect changed the name of the kiln to”smack” should be Amaco

• MarleneK changed the title to Amaco Kiln

Those are by far my least favorite kilns to work on. Amaco  still shows elements for it on the website. The big question is whether or not it's worth putting money into a kiln that old. Open it up and see how the bricks look If they're pretty beat up then I wouldn't mess with it. Usually replacing wall bricks is impossible because all the framing is too rusted to get apart. Also see if the lid bricks are still secure in the lid. They tend to come loose from the lid frame over time. Also check out the wiring in the control box. If it's the original wiring then you'll want to replace it if it's brittle or if it's the old waxy cloth wrapped wiring.

If you do decide to replace the elements, be prepared to have a difficult time getting the old ones out. Amaco made the element grooves very narrow. Combined with the fact that element coils expand as they age, the old elements will probably not come out without a fight. In order to avoid breaking the element grooves, you'll want to pull the elements upward as you pull them out. They'll chew up the top edge of the groove, but that's okay and won't hurt anything. Breaking out the bottom of the groove is a problem.

I had one similar to that, but the elements were still decent along with the bricks. We used it for electric raku for 3 years at the HS courtyard before it died.  We had replaced it with a new L&L as it was way to small for our increased class loads.

best,

Pres