QotW: What is your go to for quick information on a Ceramic subject, and the deep dive for information?

There has not been a new question in the pool of late so I am running a little late on this. 

Over the years, as a teacher an potter, I have gathered an immense library of Art History, Art and Craft  technique, and specific books on Watercolor, Painting, Printmaking, Animation, and Ceramics. Many of these have been in the attic for the last few years as I had run out of space to have them out. Yet a few have never been put away. Which brings me to my. . . 

QotW: What is your go to for quick information on a Ceramic subject, and the deep dive for information?

My quick information pick for many years, has been one library volume. . . ..The Potter's Dictionary of Materials and Techniques, originally the 1st edition, and now the 5th edition.( I gave my first edition to the HS teacher that has taken my place at the HS). The book has so much in the way of materials, solutions, techniques, and other gems of information that it is my first reference point. However, If I need to get deeper into things Ceramic I go to the Internet now for the deep dive in the way of information. Especially places like Digital Fire, Glazy, and specific potters blogs and sites.

best,

Pres

Prez--I have a strong hunch that you ought to just accept the fact that you "are" the QotW guy & only rarely will the rest of us rise to the occassion with a pile of questions just waiting to be posted . LOL 

I have a core library (Branfman, Pitelka, Rhodes, Mills, Clark, Lawrence, Nelson, Tristram) and a few others of special interest, but I don't need to reference stuff that often anymore.  I only do commercial clay & glazes, mid-fire electric, programmable kiln, and I work to keep it all real, real simple-not even wheeling it anymore.  Members here, incl. those with websites, are invaluable. A couple of the FB private groups are useful-I like Coyote's group & Potters Network. I also get input/advice from friends I made when I was a member of the NH Potters Guild. Most of the time all I need is some quick info-not much need for deep dives. 

At one point books, served my needs, but not much anymore.  These days its mostly google and internet searches. 

This forum often has great information as does a previous forum I participated in, Clayart.org. The environment was a bit more combative but good information nonetheless.

One aspect to Clayart that is interesting/helpful is that much of the posts were made in the 90's and 00's. Back before kilns were programmed and colors were stains. In that regard it enables one to understand a chemical reaction/glaze result from a different perspective.

Digitalfire is one such website that provides  lots of deep information about many things ceramic.

This reflects my current state:

Hands down it’s Tony Hansen’s Digitafire website. He covers both the need for quick information and a more involved quest for understanding. That said, fifteen years ago when I was looking for a simple floating blue recipe, and knew a lot less, the website seemed like the last place for quick information. “I don’t need to know all this stuff, I just need a recipe!” A cute thought, haha!

Next is Glazy, I take it for what it is, a huge user driven database with very powerful tools. I am astounded it’s a free resource at my fingertips.

Finally, but not last because it is in its own separate class, is Pioneer Pottery by Michael Cardew. More of a “Curl up by the fire and read about pottery” kind of resource. 

I have a huge ceramic library but these days it little used.I was downsing a bit last month and even sold a few books to lighten my shelves. I do use the web a bit but mostly just refer to my collage glaze book I made in the early 70s for new glazes and references 

I have fought the rutile pitting monster more in the last year than I ever have and did lots of looking for answers really with zero results other than the usual suspects .Clean bisqware (of course) not to much reduction (of course ) and the right thickness of glaze (of course ) and the slow glaze mets at the end 9last fore was 17 hours. Still the rutile  pit monster is on my back.

I have worked with my base ruticle fglaze for over 4 deacdes so I know a bit about that monster. I of couse remixed the glaze a few times and changed clays and alter firing schedules all for not. I was hoping this year would the pit monster may keep its distance but in last 4 glaze fires its back.

So today when starting to load a bisque I installed a new oxy probe in car kiln thinking that the reduction may be off with a wonky meter. (I have 4 of those oxy probes) two are installed in kilns and two are at the ready (bought them used for a deal) you have to look long and hard to find a used one. Then send it for new platinum wire. So they are in top shape. Cone 11 fires over time puts a hurt on them and all things refractory for that matter.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:20 PM, LeeU said:

Prez--I have a strong hunch that you ought to just accept the fact that you "are" the QotW guy & only rarely will the rest of us rise to the occassion with a pile of questions just waiting to be posted . LOL 

I guess my focus is to try to include the community as much as possible, that goes for having the pool for questions to encourage the community to ask questions, and also for my need to be broad focused enough to try to pose questions that would be of interest to the greater part of the community. It is a tough balance that I attempt, and finding fresh material to ask about is getting more difficult. I guess I'll just muddle on!!!

best,

Pres

On 3/9/2023 at 12:49 AM, Pres said:

I guess my focus is to try to include the community as much as possible, that goes for having the pool for questions to encourage the community to ask questions, and also for my need to be broad focused enough to try to pose questions that would be of interest to the greater part of the community. It is a tough balance that I attempt, and finding fresh material to ask about is getting more difficult. I guess I'll just muddle on!!!

best,

Pres

You muddle nicely!

Mine is to books, then you guys.

The info on a lot of sites is not debated, just cited.  A healthy repectful sharing of experiences and vuew points lets me choose a path to follow and yes, my other books and mags are a curl up escape. In the shed, i have hamer and hamer and  the Dictionary one.

• Pres unpinned this topic