GETTING A NEW KILN

graybeard

I think I found my new kiln! It's a skutt km818 and breaks down into 2 sections which means I will be able to move it into my studio myself (I'm getting old and can't do heavy any more) 

What I need to know is can I drive with it in its 2 sections or do I need to re ensemble  it in the minivan before I drive?

Thanks for your time, and stay safe

Graybeard 

Congrats Gray!

Likely much better to transport fully disassembled, where the lid, bottom, and both sections are isolated from each other and resting on a cushiony flat surface.
Somewhere here in the archives is a write-up on kiln moving by Neil...

There's some advice here:

Long distance moving a kiln - Equipment Use and Repair - Ceramic Arts Daily Community

No doubt you'll get more responses soon...

Edited by Hulk
link

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I recently bought a Skutt KM822 which also breaks down into two sections.  With furniture blankets to cushion against chipping the bricks, in my Corolla and/or RAV4 I'm quite comfortable carrying them separately  from hither to yon. I'm getting old, too, but I've carried them around between the garage and basement. (Lifting and carrying them buckled together is more difficult for this old guy.  Hope this is helpful.