Is there a way to repair bisque pottery without re-firing?

I am a hobby-est. I know a little bit about bisque but, not much. I live in a mobile home park and I do lawn art refurbishing. I have some pieces that have minor breakages and I would like to try to find a way to do minor repairs without re-firing. None of the pieces have the broken parts with them. I'm not looking for perfection but, something that will hold up in the Arizona heat for several years!

Any advice?

Rich V

On 2/6/2023 at 3:34 PM, rv1157 said:

I have some pieces that have minor breakages and I would like to try to find a way to do minor repairs without re-firing.

Babs is spot on, post some pictures. Patch A Tatch is a fired solution. Your best solution could likely be an epoxy product protected from UV rays.

57 minutes ago, LeeU said:

I'm not understanding something--bisque is not yet finished and ceramic lawn art is fully fired. So why do you say you don't want to "refire"? 

Lee, some fixers have to be fired, I guess the poster is wanting to mend ceramic without having to fire the piece. Would be hard to refire anyway if firing temp of glaze on original is an unknown..

'Refurbishing lawn art' aka patching up old garden ornaments????

I have had several instances where student work needed minor and major repairs. I found that a combination of epoxy putty and epoxy glue would work on all of my problems. When the crack was small, I would use the epoxy glue, often working around areas where the cracks with epoxy glue would be tight, then when I had areas where there was not piece. . . fill the gap with the epoxy putty. Takes patience and time, but works really well. Finishing these was often a problem as colors of putty would not match the glazed surfaces. However, Acrylic paint works well if worked thin, and mixed to match adjoining areas. A spray sealant over the acrylic finish up for outdoor use.

best,

Pres