Specific Gravity Less than 1.0 !?!

Never thought too much about it, but I  I always assumed that one would never get a specific gravity reading that was less than 1.0 since the water was "the base" and any particulates would be added to its weight.  But my recent ball clay terra sig is showing me a SG of 0.87

Is that possible?   Or have I mis-read my results?

If correct, is this because the very small clay particles (1) displace water and (2) weigh less than H2O?

I used a syringe and scale. 

I'm getting used to the idea that it CAN be less than 1.0 since as I just read SGis a measure of "relative density" and if the "solute" i.e the material floats in the solution it means it is less than 1.0 and if it sinks in the solution it is greater than 1.0

I guess the tiny platelets of clay are less dense than water and thats why they stay suspended (i.e. float) in the liquid.

But I will wait to hear from someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

1 hour ago, Crooked Lawyer Potter said:

But I will wait to hear from someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

Take it for what's it worth and do the math. Figure out by percentages what the specific gravity of you terra sig materials are. Sounds like user error to me, doesn't make sense your sg is below one given ball clay has a sg of 2.5 - 2.6

BTW people are just trying to help here.

List of common ceramic materials below to work your equation from.

List of specific gravities

• Silica 2.6 - 2.65
  • Kaolin 2.6 - 2.65
  • EPK 2.65
  • Grolleg 2.6
  • Ball Clay 2.5 - 2.6
  • Bentonite 2.2 - 2.8
  • Calcined Alumina 3.7 - 3.9
  • Alumina Hydrate 2.42
  • Whiting 2.8
  • Feldspar 2.55 - 2.75
  • Granite 2.66
  • Wollastonite 2.8 – 3.09
  • Talc 2.58 - 2.83
  • Magnesium Carbonate 3 - 3.1
  • Light Magnesium Carbonate 2.24
  • Dolomite 2.9
  • Zinc Oxide 4.4 - 5.6
  • Barium Carbonate 4.27 - 4.43
  • Strontium Carbonate 3.5 - 3.7
  • Titanium Dioxide 4.2
  • Tin 6.85 - 6.95
  • Red Iron Oxide 4.9 - 5.3
  • Cobalt Carbonate 4.13
  • Cobalt Oxide 6.07 - 6.66
  • Copper Carbonate 3.9 - 4
  • Black Copper Oxide (CuO) 6.4
  • Red Copper Oxide (Cu2O) 6

I used a syringe and scale. 

I'm getting used to the idea that it CAN be less than 1.0 since as I just read SGis a measure of "relative density" and if the "solute" i.e the material floats in the solution it means it is less than 1.0 and if it sinks in the solution it is greater than 1.0

I guess the tiny platelets of clay are less dense than water and thats why they stay suspended (i.e. float) in the liquid.

2 minutes ago, Min said:

BTW people are just trying to help here.

You would think that a lawyer could communicate better than i have here. I meant to express that my musings about “tiny platelets” was just the uninformed ramblings of a non expert and should not be taken as authoritative. Instead, i just came off sounding like an ungrateful ########. My apologies to those who were offended by my careless language. 

Have you tared the scale to zero with the empty syringe on it? If so, then subtracting the 28g for the weight of the syringe has already been done by the scale. Even then, it isn't making sense. 2 X 70g would give a S.G. 1.4, which is almost glaze slurry consistency, or waaay too thick for terra sig.

And just for theory, the specific gravity of water plus a solid in suspension cannot be less than 1.0 unless the solid is actually floating on top and thus displacing more water in the syringe than it weighs. As noted above by Min, clay (regardless of the particle size) has a density/specific gravity in the 2.6 range.

I draw 50 ml of the terra sig into my syringe and weigh it.  It weighs 70 mg.  I subtract the weight of the syringe (28mg) and then double the number, as in:

(70 - 28 = 42) x 2 = 84

Can you repeat the measurement process again? Once with t-sig and once with water?

2 hours ago, Crooked Lawyer Potter said:

It weighs 70 mg.  I subtract the weight of the syringe (28mg) and then double the number

70 mg (micrograms) would be 0.07 g (grams) or sometimes abbreviated to  gm, I believe you meant 70g for the terra sig and 28g for the syringe?

Edited by Min

As I understand it, clay particles, no matter how tiny, don’t become less dense than water. The smallest ones are colloidal and stay in suspension by Brownian motion. A well sealed jar of terra sig after many months will either still be in suspension or have settled a bit. I’ve never seen a part “rise to the top” like cream. 

3 hours ago, Dick White said:

Have you tared the scale to zero with the empty syringe on it?

Yes.

3 hours ago, Dick White said:

Even then, it isn't making sense. 2 X 70g would give a S.G. 1.4, which is almost glaze slurry consistency, or waaay too thick for terra sig.

I'm not doubling 70.  I take the reading of 70 and subtract the weight of the syringe.  I then double that number. (42x2=84)

Mystery solved!  I weighed the syringe again and found the error.  I had recorded its weight as 28g but its actually 23g and a re-weigh of the full syringe was 75g this time not 70 as before.   So, 75 less 23 is 52 x 2 is 104.  

Thanks to you all for your input.  I'm going to assume that SG cant be less than 1 after all.

36 minutes ago, Crooked Lawyer Potter said:

CROOKED Lawyer To his question Did you tare the scales, you answered Dick

Yes.

I'm not doubling 70.  I take the reading of 70 and subtract the weight of the syringe.  I then double that number. (42x2=84)

@Crooked Lawyer Potter     You state you have tared the scale ,Dick's 1st question and then go on to take the weight of syringe off again in second part of your reply. If tare scale , don't then take weight of syringe off before x 2..

Or is this my misinterpretation?

4 hours ago, Dick White said:

Have you tared the scale to zero with the empty syringe on it? If so, then subtracting the 28g for the weight of the syringe has already been done by the scale. Even then, it isn't making sense. 2 X 70g would give a S.G. 1.4, which is almost glaze slurry consistency, or waaay too thick for terra sig.

And just for theory, the specific gravity of water plus a solid in suspension cannot be less than 1.0 unless the solid is actually floating on top and thus displacing more water in the syringe than it weighs. As noted above by Min, clay (regardless of the particle size) has a density/specific gravity in the 2.6 range.

Yes i tared the scale. 

32 minutes ago, Babs said:

You state you have tared the scale ,Dick's 1st question and then go on to take the weight of syringe off again in second part of your reply. If tare scale , don't then take weight of syringe off before x 2..

Again, my bad. Careless response. I just meant that when i weigh the syringe, the scale is tared to zero. In other words, the reading i get is the weight of the syringe and its contents. And since i know (or thought i knew) the weight of the syringe, i subtract the syringe weight to determine the weight of the 50g of terra sig in the syringe. 

28 minutes ago, Crooked Lawyer Potter said:

Again, my bad. Careless response. I just meant that when i weigh the syringe, the scale is tared to zero. In other words, the reading i get is the weight of the syringe and its contents. And since i know (or thought i knew) the weight of the syringe, i subtract the syringe weight to determine the weight of the 50g of terra sig in the syringe. 

Ok.

Why not get any container, tare to zero with container on board.

Add 100ml of whatever then move decimal point accordingly to get the SG...just saying