Specific Gravity Less than 1.0 !?!

12 hours ago, Crooked Lawyer Potter said:

Thanks to you all for your input.  I'm going to assume that SG cant be less than 1 after all.

just to keep the brewmasters at bay:
I think that’s a really solid assumption. It can be less for a mixture of things in water but those things would need to be a lower sg and miscible in water. A real world common example likely would be alcohol. For clay, I can’t think of anything light enough so to speak.

12 hours ago, Babs said:

Why not get any container, tare to zero with container on board.

Add 100ml of whatever then move decimal point accordingly to get the SG...just saying

I'm a sucker for a system.  I did not like having to carefully fill those skinny beakers to the 100 g line and then weigh, rinse out, etc.  I had this 80 g syringe in my studio so I weighed it empty and noted the result (28g).  Then I prepared a chart in Excel that worked out all the SG numbers between 1.0 and 1.75 and stuck on the studio wall so that all I had to do to test SG was to draw glaze into the syringe to the 50 g mark and then lay it on the scale.  I then looked at the chart to see the corresponding SG.  Sounds complicated I know but its really simple once done and very handy.  It looks like this:

Scale says:          Less 28g (syringe)          X2 =SG

99                            71                                           142

100                        72                                            144

101                        73                                            146

etc all the way from 100 to 175

Adding to what Bill said, the reason a hydrometer isn’t ideal for measuring density for glazes is that SG is technically a measurement of the density of a solution. Terra sig/casting slip/some glazes are a combination of solutions (where solids are dissolved in a solute or combined liquids are miscible) and a suspension (non-soluble particles hanging out in a fluid). Most lab hydrometers are meant to be used in solutions of various densities, and having particles in the way affects how they travel through that solution enough to mess with the readings.