Oxide Washes

Mudfish

Tin is sort of a weird one. We use it as an opacifier, but it needs to be in a certain concentration before it works that way so using it as a wash would be less effective than other things. But it reacts with other things like chrome to flash pink, and it can act to clarify reduction glazes at cone 10.  Are you looking for a white wash of some kind, or are you looking to use one of the other properties of tin? 

9 hours ago, oldlady said:

underglazes make nice washes.  i would try a white underglaze if it is an appropriate finish to the piece or if you plan to use a clear glaze on top.

I agree, underglazes are a lot more “what you see is what you get.”  Unless you find a reliable source for a tin (or zircopax) wash recipe you’re likely in for some trial and error, especially if there’s glaze on top. Underglazes can get eaten up by glaze when they’re really thin too, so that’s something to account for when you’re applying it. 

Longest list of oxide wash recipes I've seen is the one from June Perry. I did a quick scan of the dozens of recipes on it and saw 2 with tin, #29 and #105. #29 uses a boatload of barium though, if you try that recipe I'ld swap the barium for 3/4 the amount of strontium instead.  Link to the list of oxide washes below.

Since tin oxide has such a high melting point it's going to need some sort of flux added to it, either one of the colouring oxides that acts as a flux or a spar or frit depending on what cone you fire to, to get it to stick if using it on raw clay without glaze and probably even if used under or over a glaze. 

http://johnbrittpottery.blogspot.com/2013/03/june-perry-oxide-wash-list.html

Hmmm. The starting place I might choose for a tin wash would be to mix some tin with a flux suited to the firing temperature you’re working at, and place containers  or test tiles with chrome at strategic points in the kiln.  It doesn’t take much for flashing effects to happen, even in a plain ol’ electric firing. 

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I use just a nice base gloss recipe and add 5% tin. I use that as a modifier “glaze” for drips brush strokes etc with a ton of great effects, clearly fun on glazes with chrome oxide. I consider that a type of wash but not sure if that counts ha!

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I use just a nice base gloss recipe and add 5% tin. I use that as a modifier “glaze” for drips brush strokes etc with a ton of great effects, clearly fun on glazes with chrome oxide. I consider that a type of wash but not sure if that counts ha!

Can't see a recipe, Morgan.