Slab Roller Issue

GLR

I've got a Bailey DRD 11 30G slab roller. Often, when I'm rolling out a slab, the underside of the slab ends up with a gap. Attached is a picture of what I'm talking about. I watched the Bailey video showing how to use the slab roller and think I did everything right. I'm starting with clay that is about 1 1/2 " thick and going to a slab 3/8" thick. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? I've had the same problem starting with a 1" to 1 1/2" slab cut from a block of clay.

image.jpeg

@GLR, When you roll out your slabs do you start with a thick long piece of clay lying parallel to the roller, or do you start with a thick slab?  I used to get this sort of thing with slab rollers, and then I started throwing the clay sideways onto a table to stretch/lengthen the clay into a thick slab then rolled this out. It did help, that looks like the clay is getting rolled over itself forming the air bubble like crease.

best,

Pres

I put about 1/2 a pug cut diagonally so it vee shaped  with the long side catching the rollers. If its not vee shaped I piund it down so the thin edge grabs the rollers.

I never use say a think slab-always a really thick pice or two of clay that rolls off as it squeezed . 

for me it canvaa on bottom and the smooth cardboard like slab matt  brand on top (no canvas marks)

glr, do you just put the slab on the table or do you "wake it up" in some way?   i have never seen that kind of thing and have been using a bailey manual slab roller.  i got one of the last of the 24 inch wide machines back in 1991 or 2.  it has a 4 foot long drive board.  been rolling slabs since then.

my first step is to cut the long side of  a new block of clay out of the box into about a 1 1/2 thick rectangle.  i have a printers blanket on the floor.  i smash the length of clay on the blanket and flip it over,  it has lengthened and thinned somewhat.  a second smash thins it a little more and it is nearing 18 or more inches in length.  one more smash after turning it over one more time and it is just right.  to narrow the edge just takes a tiny pizza roller.

i stopped using canvas years ago, it is too dusty and hard to clean and dry.  printers blankets are used by offset printing companies.  usually found in larger cities, their used blankets are just disposed of and they would rather give them to someone who can use them.  they use the rubber side and get ink on it that can be cleaned off, potters use the fine cloth side for making slabs.  they are also useful for anyone who has a work table and needs an area where screws, bolts, jewelry findings,  whatever, won't roll away as they are working on stuff.  all you need to do is call and ask for them.

Edited by oldlady

GLR, what do you have the roller set on with your first pass through and then how much do you change the setting? I'm asking because I find that if I don't make multiple pass throughs and only change the setting slightly then the  clay then it sometimes buckles on itself and cracks. I hope that made sense. I also change the orientation of the clay each time I pass it through the rollers. 

Betty

I am noticing some side cracks so maybe that clay is a bit to dry/hard?

I just rolled a few 4 inch peter pugger pugs thru in one pass down to a 1/4 inch on my 30 inch Bailey electric -this is about standard for me in one pass-made some wall fish and fish plates and some oval platters  today. The porcealin is pretty soft as well

Edited by Mark C.

1 hour ago, Mark C. said:

I am noticing some side cracks so maybe that clay is a bit to dry/hard?

I just rolled a few 4 inch peter pugger pugs thru in one pass down to a 1/4 inch on my 30 inch Bailey electric -this is about standard for me in one pass-made some wall fish and fish plates and some oval platters  today. The porcealin is pretty soft as well

I thought that dry clay might be the problem, so I mixed and pugged some clay at a wetter/softer consistency and am still having the same problem.

I thought that dry clay might be the problem, so I mixed and pugged some clay at a wetter/softer consistency and am still having the same problem. I roll to 3/8". I have a feeling if I rolled it thinner, there would be less of an issue, but this is the thickness I want for tiles for a kitchen backsplash.

I think the bailey should do 3/8 no issues-I'll try 3/8 and see myself.

Is your canvas stiff or soft? and does your outfeed  table fit tight against bottom roller?

I have the Bailey 8 foot table is your home made ? as the outfeed is critical  hieght and tightness

Edited by Mark C.

On 8/25/2022 at 7:45 AM, Pres said:

@GLR, When you roll out your slabs do you start with a thick long piece of clay lying parallel to the roller, or do you start with a thick slab?  I used to get this sort of thing with slab rollers, and then I started throwing the clay sideways onto a table to stretch/lengthen the clay into a thick slab then rolled this out. It did help, that looks like the clay is getting rolled over itself forming the air bubble like crease.

best,

Pres

Pres, I tried your suggestion of stretching the clay before I rolled it out, only I pounded it, because I don't have a surface I can throw on. I got three successful slabs. Thank you for your suggestion.

GLR

Mark C., My outfeed table is the one that made for the slab roller. It fits as it should. My canvas is pretty new, so it's not real soft, but some of the stiffness has been worked out of it. I think I have resolved the issue by pounding out a slab before I feed it into the roller. The last three slabs I rolled were pounded out first and rolled out fine.

Thanks for your input.

GLR