QotW: Do you keep your glazes in a notebook, or some other paper depository, or have you gone digital with your glaze and materials recipes?

Hi folks, nothing new in the pool!:( So I will pose another question for this weeks QotW.

Last week we asked about digital scales and find that probably 90% of you have gone digital at least with scales. Hmmm that makes me wonder.

I used to keep all of my notes on glaze formulas and recipes in a large sketch book. I even had drawings in it of pots and how I glazed them in the early days. Then in the 1980's I started working on apple II computers, and Commodore Amigas. Yeah, started to push my glaze chemistry onto spread sheets. Early ones were really simple, but a good way of storing things, and they could be printed out whenever you wanted to mix of glazes or other materials. These days I still do it, and often will post a picture of a pot with the glaze on it in the spread sheet. I have the spread sheet set up for 500 and 750 grams of glaze which makes it easy for small and larger buckets.

Recently, I got rid of the paper punched sheets and now slip them into a plastic protective sleeve. I number my containers of glaze, and my test tiles, with corresponding numbers marked on the plastic sleeve. I remember the names, but the numbers are easy to keep on the containers, and if I decide to move a glaze out and another in, I just keep the same number. When mixing glazes I mark each completed component on the sleeve over the recipe. Makes things easy and keeps me on track.

QotW: Do you keep your glazes in a notebook, or some other paper depository, or have you gone digital with your glaze and materials recipes?

best,

Pres

Both.
Am using GlazeMaster for glazes I want to compare/analyze/test/use, then I print out the recipe, note the scale values, and keep the printouts in a folder that I keep in the studio, along with a notebook for firing notes, another notebook for glaze notes.

I prefer keeping my notes in handwritten notebooks, nice change from years in ticketing systems, code, online documentation, email, etc., literally tens of thousands of hours at the keyboard an' screens. I haven't had any need to search, copy&paste or otherwise manipulate my notes, so, meh.

The software is particularly helpful for adjustments and substitutions, on account o' it has material analysis and maths built in, I love it for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I had mine in a old program on my computer,  when I bought a new computer the tech said we might loose some info if the program wasn't compatible with Windows 10.  I printed out all of my formula's and put them in a notebook.   I lost the formula's in the transfer,  I think I am going to stick to the notebook for now,  I think we need a new computer.   Denice

• Pres unpinned this topic