Cone 10 base glaze recipe

On 7/4/2022 at 9:34 AM, Bill Kielb said:

Hmm, pretty broad request. I suggest go to Glazy.org on the web and search 4321 cone 10 and see if there are versions you like - as a start to your journey.

Are there any other specifics that I haven't added? I would like a cone 10 glossy base glaze that I can add oxides or colorants to make other colors. If people have any suggestions on base glazes and other colorants that I can add to the base glaze to make other glaze colors I would really appreciate it. 

2 hours ago, kevinpleong said:

Are there any other specifics that I haven't added?

Nope, there are hundreds, thousands of them out there, hence tough for someone to suggest a single one. 4321 has a long history, is easy to make and gets you started in what I believe a helpful direction

Have you gone to Glazy.org?

You will also find many other formulations there as well and maybe can try those.

Colorants / oxides
I would try any and all colorants in concentration, combined, etc….. color to your taste as they say. It likely does not match my taste.

If you do go to Glazy you can also look at the effect of various colorants as well so you can try the ones pleasing to you first. Hence the suggestion I gave you.

In reality there is much to learn about glazes as there is not a single good gloss clear. They are “your” clay dependent, “your” firing dependent, available local materials dependent and so on. Learning about them takes time and testing but also is very rewarding.

Edited by Bill Kielb

A visual of why testing a glaze with your clay and firing schedule is important. Images below are of a few different claybodies with Leach's 4321 clear glaze. It looks perfect on some clay but not so much on others. How the base glaze reacts to colourants brings in more testing. Are you firing in an electric kiln or ?

264718280_ScreenShot2022-07-05at5_07_26PM.png.8ec4d1bb6c2387f7a9a0a04b3146c819.png2034006226_ScreenShot2022-07-05at5_06_19PM.png.f062c0fe536304b63a172228990a7955.png1595013927_ScreenShot2022-07-05at5_06_12PM.png.dade491beff4dcb1a2606efcec8bbc36.png2118087710_ScreenShot2022-07-05at5_06_33PM.png.ac6d1413356d3611b5ba807b55618b51.png 1133915468_ScreenShot2022-07-05at5_11_10PM.png.760111510e9f728ec2f12082f012c783.png

I know of no base that works with all colorants for all the colors you are asking about-its just not that simple.I have 50 years in now experence wise  with cone 10 glazes in a production studio and I have no base that works in my 15 weekly glazes I use they are all different. No single base . If you find one let me know as that would simplify mixing all 15 each.

You can use a white base and add cobalt for blue  or try copper for green but its a try try try test test test deal. I would start with a simple 4 ingredient glaze base thats white. The white base  glaze will have zero colorants in it.I can post one if needed called honey white. Next time I'm in glaze area I'll jot it down-its very simple white-likes heat so not good in cold spots

Edited by Mark C.

It would also help us narrow things down a bit if you have a particular look you’re trying to get out of your work, if it’s sculptural or functional,  what clay you’re planning on using, and a little background on how much experience working in clay you have. We get folks at all levels of skill here, and it helps to tailor our answers to you.

2 hours ago, kevinpleong said:

I do a lot of functional work. I I have been doing ceramics for about 7 years. I mainly do hand building cone 10 reduction and oxidation on bmix, orion stout and porcelain. 

4321 is not a bad recipe to try as far as clears go it has a very established history. You may have success with it. Just an FYI, in general - For reduction you primarily will be concerned with oxides that are reducible so: iron, copper (generally with tin) easily reducible for new colors - heavy reduction  = cobalt, nickel, chrome, manganese  and hard to reduce In a studio kiln = vanadium and titanium they tell me (I have never reduced either). Glazy.org is a nice resource to scan through. Digital fire has several base glazes as well and is a great resource IMO.

Edited by Bill Kielb

This white I have used for about 45-50 years now. -its a great liner that loves heat does not run-it can go outside as well-you could add colorants -test first 

I put it inside about 30% of my drinking wares

Honey white -cone 10 or hotter

Extremely dependable -no flaws 

Kentucky Ball clay-450

Grestly Borate -722

Dolomite-920

Talc882

silica 325 mesh -1198

Custar feldspar-2570