Evenheat kiln electrical issue

I have an Evenheat RMII 2329 kiln. It was recently involved in a fire (wall behind kiln caught). I have replaced the RMII controller, the 3 relays and transformer. I believe the elements are all good.

When the power is turned on the controller wakes up and all looks correct. However once the lid switch is set there is a loud noise (humming/rattleing) coming from the control panel, this appears to be below the RMII controller in the area of the relays, transformer and main power connection. 

Once the kiln is turned on it starts heating and the relays start switching between the elements the noise becomes intermittent. One cycle it is there next cycle it goes away. At the same time the controller temperature indicator jumps up and down around 5 degrees.  

I am an electrician and this has got me compleatly beaten.

So it has a kill switch on the lid, and when you close the lid the humming starts, before the firing is started? How is the lid switch connected into the system? We don't see that setup very often in the US because lid switches are not required here. The hum is typically power flow, but there shouldn't be any power going through the relays until you hit start. Have you put a meter on the relays to make sure there's no power going through them?

If the thermocouple reading is jumping, then there's some sort of interference there. Is the controller grounded? Is the thermocouple too close to any metal? Did you replace the thermocouple wires?

The lid switch is connected from the  RMII controller through to the relays - all 3 are looped together. So when the lid switch is closed the signal is sent to the relays.  

I had disconnected the neutral from the relays and the same problem exists.

Havent replaced the thermocouple, but the clearence from any metal is good.

The controller does not have it's own earth connection but is fixed directly to the cover which is grounded.

Check to see if there's power going through to the elements even when the controller has not been started. There shouldn't be any humming unless power is flowing through the relays. And relays of that size shouldn't really be humming much at all. The big 50 amp ones do, but not the little 25-30 amp ones. The fluttery temp reading is probably a separate issue, most likely a bad connection somewhere in the line.

22 hours ago, Roger Peryer said:

I had disconnected the neutral from the relays and the same problem exists.

Do you mean the ground from the control side of the relay?

22 hours ago, Roger Peryer said:

The controller does not have its own earth connection but is fixed directly to the cover which is grounded.

Is there a wire coming off the Center Tap terminal on the controller? That's the ground.

Pretty sure Evenheat is like Aim kilns,they are made to be glassblowing furnaces. The shutoff switch is to prevent you from electrocuting yourself because molten glass will carry a charge if it arcs with an element through your blowpipe and fry you. you can just disable the switch since you are using it for firing ceramics and see if it is a problem with that switch.It might not be giving you a good connection because it would be tripped many times a day and get worn out over time. i had to change them out in our glass studio back when I worked in glass.

Hi everyone  many thanks for your replies.

It appears that the issue was caused by an incorrectly connected RMII controller. The schematic I was using was for an earlier model.

New controller on it's way. Expensive mistake 

10 hours ago, STONEWARECAFE said:

Pretty sure Evenheat is like Aim kilns,they are made to be glassblowing furnaces. The shutoff switch is to prevent you from electrocuting yourself because molten glass will carry a charge if it arcs with an element through your blowpipe and fry you.

Evenheat makes pottery kilns, too. They do not have the lid switch on kilns sold in the US because they are not required here. In Europe and Australia and other places they are required.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:56 AM, neilestrick said:

Evenheat makes pottery kilns, too. They do not have the lid switch on kilns sold in the US because they are not required here. In Europe and Australia and other places they are required.

Seems like a good thing to have ... I may be a nervous Nellie, but I'd like to have that.

B)

Archived