Arrrr, admire me clay booty!

The studio manager decided to toss the red earthenware because "nobody wants it" (ignoring that I've been ASKING for it since last Sept :wacko:).  I snagged about 30 lbs of it Friday but then I forgot to dry it before putting it in the bucket to slake.  So that's gonna be awhile.

So when I went in today I just asked for the rest of it ... AND I GOT IT!  Somewhere around 90 lbs of it ARRRRRRRRR!

2114374772_BootymeBooty.jpg.20d5efd2f64ad7f5cd9d87156df2efc0.jpg

Yeah, haven't gotten around to putting the baseboard back up but at least the tile and the new paint looks good!  LOL!

Soon, my pretties.  Soon you will be bone dry and ready for slaking.  Sleep, and dream of being orchid pots.  I know I will.

SOOOOON ....

@Babs Yeah, they'll fire it for me.  It's cone 04 as it is.  They have a cone 04 white earthenware that they are planning to keep though I've actually never seen anybody use it.  I actually made some stamps from it that got bisqued to cone 06 and it was fine.  I'd have to do some test firing to see if this has the same leeway.

They have a smaller kiln that I've been told they'll fire to whatever cone I want if I fill it up - I think its around 2 cu ft.  I've never seen it used.  They actually said I wouldn't HAVE to fill it so once I get some of this rehydrated and wedged I'll throw some test forms and see what the absorption is.  I want it to let moisture through the walls but not so much that it actually drips, so we'll see what happens.  I'll just let most of it dry out and toss it in a  bucket until my kiln is here (L&L e18S-3) and I can get some frit for 'sperimenting with modifying the absorption.  At worst I get throwing practice. 

1 hour ago, Pyewackette said:

@Babs Yeah, they'll fire it for me.  It's cone 04 as it is.  They have a cone 04 white earthenware that they are planning to keep though I've actually never seen anybody use it.  I actually made some stamps from it that got bisqued to cone 06 and it was fine.  I'd have to do some test firing to see if this has the same leeway.

They have a smaller kiln that I've been told they'll fire to whatever cone I want if I fill it up - I think its around 2 cu ft.  I've never seen it used.  They actually said I wouldn't HAVE to fill it so once I get some of this rehydrated and wedged I'll throw some test forms and see what the absorption is.  I want it to let moisture through the walls but not so much that it actually drips, so we'll see what happens.  I'll just let most of it dry out and toss it in a  bucket until my kiln is here (L&L e18S-3) and I can get some frit for 'sperimenting with modifying the absorption.  At worst I get throwing practice. 

Cone 06 actually lower in temp than c04 , will be more porous at c06.

But if your stuuff only stuff in kiln ,cant you sweet talk them to fire at C04 if clay has enough porosity for what you want.

@Babs Yeah I keep forgetting that LOL!  It's like wire gauge.  Smaller number is bigger wire.  Only with "cones" it reverses.  if there's a 0 in front, smaller number is hotter.  No zero - bigger number is hotter.  I'll get used to it ... eventually LOL!

They MAY fire for me, as I said I was at one point told that I wouldn't NECESSARILY have to fill the little kiln to get a firing.  But first I have to wedge the booty clay into submission and actually throw something with it. I'm guessing it'll be dry enough to slake in a couple days.  I was careful to slice it fairly thin (I had to slice pieces off with a wire to get it out of the container as it was too heavy for me to lift all at once so I just made sure to slice 'em thin, or at least not too thick)

They bisque at cone 06 here, not sure why, I'm pretty sure every other studio I've worked at bisqued at cone 04.  Maybe 06 works for both earthenware and stoneware?

Or maybe I just remember wrong. :o

maybe suits what they are doing with their glazes.. and what their clays does to the glazesin the glaze firing. ALl behaving, saves on power I guess.

I bisque to 06 for that very reason.

Many moons ago folk bisqued to 08,... like everything in pottery, it depends.

OK So it turns out they have a teensy test kiln and I got the go ahead to push the red earthenware to see how far it'll go. Studio manager sez to make a tray and just fire it in the kiln with the test strip of earthenware, eg not to bother even pre-bisquing the safety tray.  Just put them both in leather hard.

OK.  I can do that. Now I just have to figure out what dimensions to make the test bars.

My first batch is nearly ready to slake but I want to be sure its all the way dry so I'll wait a bit longer before setting it to slake.

I'm wondering, when you do this sort of thing do you bother with a bisque, or just fire straight to the end goal?  The little test kiln only goes up to about cone 1.  That ought to give me a good idea of where my booty is going to end up.

That would be me CLAY booty.  ARRRRRR!

3 hours ago, Pyewackette said:

Now I just have to figure out what dimensions to make the test bars.

Just a suggestion

SHAB - Shrinkage/Absorption Test https://digitalfire.com/test/shab
roll it using 3/8 metal rods
Cut slab or clay to 4 1/4” width, then bars to 2.5 cm width.
... Love the mixed units, especially as 2.5 cm is so close to 1 inch (0.984252).

Also see  How do you decide what temperature to fire this terra cotta at?

On 4/27/2022 at 1:34 AM, PeterH said:

Love the mixed units,

4 1/4” is also close enough to 10 cm, plus some extra, for marking a shrinkage ruler.

Canadians of a certain age move pretty easily between Imperial and Metric, and will often combine them in weird ways like this. There’s some memes running around about the convoluted ways Canadians measure things, but they’re true.

7 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

move pretty easily between Imperial and Metric, and will often combine them in weird ways

Probably true in most countries that have switched from imperial to metric.  We buy timber in metric lengths and imperial widths.  2 x 4 by 2.4, but we all seem to accept that it's 2" x 4" by 2.4m.  Or 2 metres of 36" wide fabric.  blah blah blah

Archived