New Shimpo RK55 VL Lite making rhythmic noise

Linchimb

As @Hulksaid. The VL lite is a belt drive with an automatic tensioner. Turn it over, uncover and see what is making noise. Likely a flat or worn spot on the belt. If it’s brand new or has sat a long time, the belt may be creased from the small drive pulley. If that’s the case, the noise could disappear as the belt wears in and  loses this crease.

Edited by Bill Kielb

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! Does anyone know how to take the wheel head off?

The supplier has suggested taking the wheel head off to add a bit more grease to the metal disc but I can't find any video online showing how to grease the disc inside the wheel.....

Many thanks!

@Linchimb Really sounds like belt noise because of the speed difference. Did you inspect the belt? New bearings generally come pre lubricated and shielded so not something someone can lubricate easily.

one member solved this by running her wheel for hours until the belt wore in 

“[UPDATE] I ran my wheel for 7 hours at high speed and the knocking sound stopped. It started to dissipate around 4-5 hours in. Now it's operating without the annoying sound and just regular wheel hum. The belt just had to "warm up" and become more flexible again after having sat in a box for a while in one position—it had to loosen a stiff "kink" from being stored before purchasing. 

Edited yesterday at 05:14 AM by nattergab “

Edited by Bill Kielb

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bill. I will remove the back cover and check the belt. I took the four bolts out underneath the splash pan which was a mistake…now trying to figure out how to re-tighten them….if you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks very much!

5639D499-F379-46FB-9F0F-A99E8BF6E558.jpeg

2 hours ago, Linchimb said:

Thanks Bill. I will remove the back cover and check the belt. I took the four bolts out underneath the splash pan which was a mistake…now trying to figure out how to re-tighten them….if you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks very much!

I think the other side has nuts. I believe you will need to remove the cover on the bottom and maybe the flywheel to get to them to reinstall. Good time to see if the belt has a crease in it from storage which might work out after running for a bit. Take pictures along the way, mark anything that will help you reassemble, it should be fairly straightforward. 

Edited by Bill Kielb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...