Terra sig gone weird colour

My club does Raku only one month a year using communal supplies. so they sit for the rest of the time untouched. With Covid it has been locked away since June 2019. When the terra sig was brought out it was completely settled and the liquid above the clay was Black. No one knows if it might be a mold or just some kind of chemical deterioration. It was made in 2019 from OM4 with silicate/soda ash deflocculant.  The Red Art batch was fine.

I was thinking of trying to "wash" it  by replacing the liquid with distilled water and a calculated amount of deflocculant. Or should it just be tossed and we start over.

Hydrogen peroxide would be safer on the hands than chlorine bleach. Not as smelly either.

On 4/5/2022 at 4:09 PM, Laura-RPC said:

My club does Raku only one month a year using communal supplies. so they sit for the rest of the time untouched

Going forward if you use the Terra sig that infrequently I’ld let it dry out then add some water to reconstitute when you need it. Slake, remix and rebalance the specific gravity and you’re good to go.

Archived