Pacifica wheel with a Brent Controller

Mike TY

Ok folks, this one is a weird one. My spouse scored a pottery wheel for $150, it needed work but for being sold as a Brent it was a heck of a deal.  Once we got it home, I started digging into it and seeing what it needed. As best as I can tell, the wheel, motor and table is all from a Pacifica (the wheel is 13" diameter, the 4 belt drive system, orange table top with a particle board underside), and the controller and pedal are Brent (I can't make out a model).

I ordered new belts and got everything cleaned up, but now that it is running, it seems to be spinning much slower than it should be. 

I'm don't really know how to start troubleshooting this, and I can't seem to find motor specs for older Pacificas on what voltage they want.  

Does anyone have any experience running different companies motors on Brent controllers? 

Thanks!

Some of the control boards have an adjustment for max rpm ...and several other things, most of which I'm forgetting just now.
I bumped up the max rpm a bit on my wheel - for chattering small diameter wares, e.g. jar lids, also tweaked down the adjustment for maintaining the set speed.

Thanks for the info! I did not realize there was a speed adjustment (though I probably should have!)  I will try to test that out tonight and see if that fixes it.

I took some pictures, the foot pedal seems to be pretty standard, with the red and blue adjusters.

Controller Face.jpg

Wheel Underside.jpg

Wheel Top.jpg

Controller Guts.jpg

Yes that's a Pacifica wheel deck head and (motor?-I'm not familair enough to say for sure) -older model -its not a Brent Motor-100% on that

That wire coming out of Motor is super sketchy and needs to be secured. This really needs doing to make it safe

You can adjust the speed control in bottom of pedal-follow this vid

https://www.amaco.com/equipment_how_tos/248

Pacifica wheels are now made /owned by Laguna Clay Company-so if you ever want a contoler and foot pedal they are the place to get it from

That Brent Model plate is missing some info so it may have been bought separably from Brent (no model or motor HP type stamped). It a total guess whay anyone would do this vs get one from Pacifica ?But Brent pedals are built like tanks

Thanks Mark,  I have grommets coming in the mail for the wire into the motor.  I found that video this morning and I am excited to try it out. 

(Electrical safety inspections are part of my job, so that one was immediately on my fix it list)

Archived