Pottery wheel

I think it depends on what type of thrower you are.   I bought a Brent wheel off of Ebay, it's 1/2 hp,  after throwing on it I found out that I easily stop by pressing down too hard when centering.  I needed to get a 1 hp.    I don't throw much,   if I did I would trade it in on Brent 1hp.   Need more POWER!  ar ar ar.     Denice

3 hours ago, HarryJaggard said:

Can anyone guide me what is the best pottery wheel to buy?

That link isn't a real review of wheels. It's just a marketing thing. All of the cheap Chinese made wheels that are sold on Amazon should be avoided. So far we have not seen one that is built well at all. We've had forum folks that bought them, and they broke within the first few hours of use. You'll do fine with any of the wheels sold by the pottery suppliers- Shimpo, Skutt, Brent, Speedball, Bailey, Pacifica, Soldner. You'll just need to decide how much power you require and which features you want. I'm a big fan of Skutt wheels because they have a ton of torque, and the big splash pan keeps the studio cleaner. Bailey also has a big splash pan.

1 hour ago, Denice said:

I think it depends on what type of thrower you are.   I bought a Brent wheel off of Ebay, it's 1/2 hp,  after throwing on it I found out that I easily stop by pressing down too hard when centering.  I needed to get a 1 hp.    I don't throw much,   if I did I would trade it in on Brent 1hp.   Need more POWER!  ar ar ar.     Denice

Is your belt loose? Thats an easy fix .I have a 1/2 hp one in the mix  and I cannot stop it?

Thank you Mark for the help,  I will take a look at it.  I figured it was my strong arms that were causing the problem.  I had a kick wheel before buying the Brent and didn't have to deal with belts,  if I can't figure it out I will ask my husband to help me.    He is restoring a 65 El Camino  and doesn't want to be bothered,  he bought it last fall and wants to have it finished for a big show in September.  Denice

Archived