Glaze question

Loro

In a rush today I applied glaze instead of underglaze to my price that I did a nice srafitto design on. Will I need to wash off the glaze so I can bisque fire and figure out later how to glaze or should I let it dry naturally and just do one firing with glazed pieces?

Good question Loro!

I've only once fired two or three pieces - testing a new clay.

There are several forum regulars that once fire; perhaps they will respond.
My guess would be your chances of success are greater if the clay doesn't typically require an extended bisque.

45 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

Washing the glaze off without damaging your sgrafitto work seems unlikely. 

If you change your title to "Can I single-fire sgrafitto?", or something similar - or maybe add a tags with 'sgrafitto' and 'single-fire?' - it might help catch the attention of the folks that @Hulk mentioned, that have single-fire experience & knowledge.

+1
... but include details of your bisque and glaze cones. I suspect that the idea would be a non-starter if the glaze melts at bisque temperatures. 

A variant might be to bisque fire it (non-contact) and then glaze fire it, as a sort of interrupted single firing. It would avoid the need for a special firing for one pot. (I assume that the glaze would sinter at bisque temperatures and allow handling).

Since you are talking about a single piece, you have a couple of choices...single fire it at your next glaze firing or bisque fire it and see if you can brush or wash the glaze off... if that doesn't work satisfactorily, then glaze fire it next time around and chalk this up to experience. You may be surprised at the outcome!

ok, i was a little busy today and did not see this.   if you have put glaze on the piece and it was your intention to not do any other design work, you can single fire the piece if you do the glaze load slowly.   i am assuming the piece is absolutely bone dry.   even if you think it is,  put it into your cold  kitchen oven set at 180 degrees for at least 30 minutes after the oven says it is at temp.  however you fire, be sure to move through the important numbers slowly.    if you have a controller with a preheat, use it.  if a manual kiln stay on low for a longer time than usual.

it probably will work.   whatever else you fire in that load will probably be fine, it will just be a little slower to reach the final temp you set.

question,   scraffito assumes you are going through a coating to a base clay of a different color.   is that what you are doing?   and glazing the piece will color both the underlying clay and the stuff on the surface the color you want?    would love to see a picture.

edit    reading your question again, i am confused.   you suggest washing off the glaze.   you can only do this if you have already bisque fired the pot.   is the piece in question still greenware or bisque already.    you cannot wash greenware, all detail will be lost.

this question is an example of a not quite informative question.   the more you say, the better the answer.

Archived