Terra sig sit more than 20 hours

Alyosha

I've been making a batch of terra sig for the second time from raw clay. I believe the density after mixing the clay and water was about 1.18. After twenty hours sitting however there is no difference in layers in the preparation. I have used for the most part water afloat from my recycling clay buckets already thicker than water. Would it be the reason the deflocculation is taking more time ? 

IMG_20220116_130745.jpg

Hi Callie,

i use 0.25 per cent of silicate sodium and 0.25 per cent of sodium carbonate . Both per cent of dry clay weight. About 11 grammes of each . Because the  bucket wasn't big enough to put all the dry clay if I remember correctly there's a chance there is more than 0,25 percent of each in the mixture. Would too much deflocculant be the cause ?

Making sig depends on a few things, mostly particle size distribution of your clay, ph, and temperature. This article describes what happens it in more detail, but the short answer is to try putting it in the freezer for a few minutes, and see if that settles it out a bit better.

Without knowing exactly what clay you’re using it’s a little harder to trouble shoot. If you’re using reclaim that has kaolin and/or bentonite in it, that will interfere with your yield.

The article talks about using Darvan, which is a dispersant used in North America, but I believe the commercial name for a similar product in the UK is Dispex. From what I could tell, your weights for sodium silicate and soda ash are equivalent. 

I'm thinking I might of made a mistake when preparing the mixture I aimed for a density of 1'18. Maybe it's is too dense for the deflocculation and the batch should be prepared with lower density and only after by evaporation can it get a specific gravity of around 0.18

@Callie Beller Diesel  the green clay was directly took from the ground, it's a low temperature firing clay, I throw it on the wheel and it fires a shade of light brown.   I've used inly once a very small amount  of bentonite for glazing in the same studio. The problem might come from the waters I used from different reclaim buckets, some had been lightly sprayed with a detergent against the odours a month ago.

Measurements need to be precise with terra sig. Sounds like you have a few variables that could be throwing things off. 

On 1/16/2022 at 11:20 AM, Alyosha said:

Because the  bucket wasn't big enough to put all the dry clay if I remember correctly there's a chance there is more than 0,25 percent of each in the mixture. Would too much deflocculant be the cause ?

On 1/16/2022 at 11:22 AM, Alyosha said:

There was also probably some chlore in the water of the recycled buckets

Chlorine?

2 hours ago, Alyosha said:

I have measured with a cup of water. It is 118 grams in comparison.

For practical purposes 100 ml of water will weigh 100 grams. If you are literally measuring 1 cup (Imperial) of water it would weigh 284 grams. How are you measuring specific gravity.

59 minutes ago, Alyosha said:

59 minutes ago, Alyosha said:

The problem might come from the waters I used from different reclaim buckets, some had been lightly sprayed with a detergent against the odours a month ago.

This would be another unknown.

I'ld suggest putting this batch aside and start a small test batch. Use clean drinking quality water, distilled if possible. Weigh your powdered dry clay and deflocculants really accurately and once mixed leave it for 20 hours then check for separation. 

A very good explanation for the details for making terra-sig is this paper by Vince Pitelka

https://vincepitelka.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Super-Fine-Terra-Sigillata-Edited-2019.pdf 

He explains the basis for 20 hours, and what you are trying to accomplish among the various particles in the slurry.  

LT 

7 hours ago, Alyosha said:

@Callie Beller Diesel  the green clay was directly took from the ground, it's a low temperature firing clay, I throw it on the wheel and it fires a shade of light brown.   I've used inly once a very small amount  of bentonite for glazing in the same studio. The problem might come from the waters I used from different reclaim buckets, some had been lightly sprayed with a detergent against the odours a month ago.

Alyosha: I work with several groups who harvest locally sourced clay(s). In nature: a greenish color is often associated with calcium bentonite. (Fullers Earth) If it is in fact calcium bentonite: it will stay suspended. Calcium bentonite has much smaller particle size than ball clay(s) normally used in Terra Sig.  Sodium silicate and sodium carbonate additions are within tolerance: just as a SG of 1:18 is. Due to the uniformity of particle dispersion over an extended period: high probability you have dug up calcium bentonite/ or calcium hectorite. Calcium alone creates suspension naturally.

Tom 

Thanks all for the help.  @Magnolia Mud Research It is the text I followed.

A clue about what might be happening is on the surface, the clay seems to have splits , here's a photo.

( Sorry Tom for a false call, I don't know how to take the @ off )@Tom@glazenerd Here is a sheet about the earth, it's from Romainville. I have managed to make it deflocculate by the past in a small jar. Of course it wasn't the same piece of clay though. What would happen if there's is too much deflocculante agents? I error could be that I took the suspended water from a bucket of beige earth, maybe travertin, that was a layer on top of the clay, there it might happen that there is bentonite then.

@Min Yes I might of made a mistake during preparation. There was a fair amount of work in order to 80 mesh such quantity of raw clay but it seems indeed that I have to start again, in smaller quantity.

With this batch I could perhaps try taking half of the bucket and adding water mixing it a tad more deflocculante and leave it outside.

@PeterH   The detergent  used a few sprays of q month ago is composed of 0,99% Chlorure didectldimethylammonium and les than 5% non ionic surface agent and phosphonates and limonele, linalool.

argil_0429-3320_1967_num_19_1_T1_0033_0000_2.png

IMG_20220119_131313.jpg

Alyosha:

The analysis you posted falls close to a hectorite.  18% dolomite: which supplies calcium and magnesium- both natural deflocculants. Glauconite is iron rich mica: also high in potassium- which aids in suspension. 17% bentonite (last line in spec sheet) which is a suspension agent. I would expect this clay to stay suspended without adding any additional deflocculants. Careful firing over cone 04: this clay has very low alumina levels- which would turn to a molten blob quickly. 

Tom

alyosha, would you mind saying where you are in the world?  we won't come knocking at your door or send trouble your way.   i like to think of members of this community in their places in the world,  i bet others like that, too.

the language on your chart looks like French but i am the worst at languages.   could you be in canada?

Hi @glazenerd,

Indeed I’ve fired the clay by guess to around 800 Cº , it came out good although feels slightly underfired compared to high temp grès. I was told it could be fired to 900Cº. I wonder now  if it could stand a proper cone 04. Can I add alumina to it as I did with sand ?

When you mean the clay could stay suspended, could I then make Terra Sig from without any deflocculante, with a suffisant amount of water at the right ph ?

Archived