Terra sig sit more than 20 hours

Alyosha

12 minutes ago, Alyosha said:

Hi @glazenerd,

Indeed I’ve fired the clay by guess to around 800 Cº , it came out good although feels slightly underfired compared to high temp grès. I was told it could be fired to 900Cº. I wonder now  if it could stand a proper cone 04. Can I add alumina to it as I did with sand ?

When you mean the clay could stay suspended, could I then make Terra Sig from without any deflocculante, with a suffisant amount of water at the right ph ?

At this point: I would brush on the Terra Sig you have made: and see how it works after burnishing/polishing it. My "guess" in comparing it to other clays with the same characteristics: you have something close to hectorite. ( 0.05 to 0.15 micron particle size). As a comparision: OM4 ball clay is used extensively in the USA for Terra Sig: the median particle size is 0.52 microns ( if memory serves) about 30% is larger, and 20% is smaller. You see visible sedimentation lines because of the particle distribution: potters are after the 20% super fine particle size.

Add kaolin: which is 37% alumina if you want to spike cone values (firing temperature) start at 10%

Due to the natural calcium, potassium, and magnesium levels of your clay: the natural PH will be alkaline. There is a simple premise in clay chemistry: alkalinity = deflocculation= plasticity/suspension. Acidity = flocculation/ sedimentation. 

Yes, I think this clay will stay suspended without adding deflocculants. To get suspension: start by mixing in warm water to get suspension going.(Temperature also plays a roll in particle suspension). 

Tom

If you do a small test amount without using contaminated water and really accurately measured soda ash and sodium silicate and you still aren’t getting separation after 20 hours of undisturbed settling I would use a purchased dry clay instead, if you have a ball clay or a kaolin for use in your glazes that would be a simple thing to try. 

Archived