Just to clarify, you are looking for a glaze that will stain over time from usage on functional ware?  If I had to make a glaze with those requirements I would be looking at an underfired matte glaze. But I would not recommend using it for functional ware. While there may not be any harmful materials in an underfired white matte glaze it will not be durable. Leaching and cutlery marking in addition to staining would be expected.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the warm welcome!! 

Yes! I was thinking of functional wear. I'm not familiar if there is any other way for it to change color beyond staining, but you make a great point on the factors of underfiring!

I wonder if there are glazes that exist without lead to avoid the leaching issues? 

It seems like it might be an impossible/hard project for functional wear haha

These days you’d have to look fairly hard to find a glaze recipe in North America that does contain lead. They’ve fazed its use out over the last 30 years, and even 25 years ago, no one was even teaching people how to use it. If there were hazards to the end user, those hazards are compounded to the people who are making the glazes. No one wanted to be liable for any accidents around its use.

A glaze’s suitability for food use go beyond leaching. You want them to be non reactive, scratch and stain resistant, you want them to not cutlery mark and to generally be durable and easy to clean. If a glaze changes colour over time, it means that it’s reacting with something in the environment. That’s not a sign of anything good.

The good news is, there’s loads of durable recipes out there, both in mix your own and from commercial suppliers. There’s several functional potters who are regular contributors to this groups, and all the moderators sell pots for part or all of their income. There’s always a certain amount of ongoing testing, but it’s a job lots of us can help you through. 

If you can tell us a little more about what you have in mind and what kind of scale you want to work on, we can help you figure out some ways of getting there. We’ve got folks on the forum who are beginners and hobbyists and teachers, as well as a few pros. We welcome all skill levels!

Oh thank you all so much!! 

I honestly appreciate all of this information, and I love how hospitable everyone has been on this forum. It's the best thing I could have ever come across!

It's great to hear about the lead, I didn't know it was already phased out! 

I am also definitely a beginner! Scale-wise I mostly started this idea when thinking about personal (small scale) mugs and drinking cups, but I did entertain the idea of other functional wear such as eating bowls and plates, or even decorative bowls and possibly vases. 

So it seems that if I were to do such a project it would lean towards decorative then? Since the fictional purposes wouldn't be possible with the science? (Ie. Firing, scratching, possible bacterial growths, etc) 

Any glaze that changes colour over time is best kept for decorative purposes, yes. There’s a number of raku glazes that will re-oxidize over time if they’re not sealed with wax or varnish, or if they’re kept in direct sunlight. Anything like that will not hold up to daily dishwashing, or mild acids in food/drinks.

So the next question is then, do you want to focus on the colour change idea, or do you want to focus on making yourself some nice things?

Lots of good reading here Good, check some of the archived threads...

There are other sources; here's one https://digitalfire.com, maybe check the articles, e.g. Where do I start in understanding glazes? (digitalfire.com), and Glaze Recipes: Formulate Your Own Instead (digitalfire.com), also Are Your Glazes Food Safe or are They Leachable? (digitalfire.com), etc. ..have fun!

Archived