Standard ceramic of Carnegie newly formulated 105 low fire clay body.

J. Bull

Standard ceramics clay com. has recently created a new formula for there 105 low fire clay. The new clay body is white not gray and it fires very white, I was curious how it would bisque fire so i fired a load to cone 04 and it seems to be all right maybe a little soft. I put some Mayco foundation glaze inside a few bowls while green to test the glaze and it appears that everything is all right. I did not notice any crazing or crawling or flaking. My next test is to see how clear glaze reacts on the bisque pottery fired to cone 06.  Has anyone had any experience with this new Clay body I would be interested in hearing what you have found out.

B4E07645-90A8-443F-8CF2-C7207A4A92CC_1_201_a.jpeg

B326782A-698B-4069-9A63-BB0479DE9740.jpeg

Mixed my own clay body today just a small batch to test I used standard ceramics old SDS sheet and pull the ingredients off of it and percentages.

Worked like a charm I was able to throw a small bowl I know you're supposed to wait a few days or months or weeks before you use but I was impatient and I had to find out. Now it is drying I will fire it after it's dry completely to see how it turns out. I will post the results the clay body has no talc in it.

This is a photo of the clay.

72515CDA-78DB-43D1-AC84-7AC0FA3AB0A6_1_201_a.jpeg

This is a developing situation. The old Standard 105 was a grey colored body when raw because it contained a fair amount of AMTAL C98 talc, AKA Texas Talc. That talc contains trace amounts of amorphous carbon (which burns off as CO2 in the firing). Because the body was grey in the bag, Standard advertising used to include the notation that despite the raw color, it was a white-firing earthenware body. Those who have been following the ceramic materials market are aware that Daltile, the big producer of wall and floor tiles, purchased the AMTAL mine a few years ago, and as of April 2021 stopped selling this talc to the outside market. This complete disruption of the largest North American source of an important material was (and continues to be) a big hit to clay body producers and glaze makers of all sorts. There are other talc mines out there, but the material content may be different, and availability and cost in different locales is uneven. Standard has worked out a replacement recipe for the new 105, and it is now white because the old grey talc is no longer available. Keep those cards and letters coming about how you like the reformulated product.

@J. Bull, thanks for posting your testing and welcome to the forum.

I pulled the SDS info from Standard Ceramics SDS for 105 (same as for 5 of their other lowfire clays), is this what you used to make up your claybody? If it is how did you determine the percentages of each material and if it doesn't contain talc did you increase the calcium carb or add some dolomite or ? Just curious. We did get the analysis from Laguna of the Cim talc (not sure if that's one word or two?), it's in the thread Mark linked above but I don't think we can say without confirmation from Standard that is what's in their reformulated 105.

1234361945_ScreenShot2021-12-16at1_47_32AM.png.274b59309a90a27d91c3243ef503941c.png

38 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Standard used to have a non-talc low fire white (calcium body), I wonder if that's what this is. has anyone confirmed that the new formula is a talc body?

Yes it is I talked to Julie tech at standard she can firm the new recipe does have talc.

On 12/15/2021 at 6:17 PM, J. Bull said:

Mixed my own clay body today just a small batch to test I used standard ceramics old SDS sheet and pull the ingredients off of it and percentages.

Worked like a charm I was able to throw a small bowl I know you're supposed to wait a few days or months or weeks before you use but I was impatient and I had to find out. Now it is drying I will fire it after it's dry completely to see how it turns out. I will post the results the clay body has no talc in it.

This is a photo of the clay.

72515CDA-78DB-43D1-AC84-7AC0FA3AB0A6_1_201_a.jpeg

I just pulled this out of the kiln it is standards 105 recipe with no talk high in calcium.  I mixed the clay body from standards SDS sheets I believe it is an old recipe and it worked very well.

6E8DB43E-B589-4312-BB71-F675C48683C7.JPG

Nice glazing, pots look really good. Are you testing absorption and comparing it to the original talc body?  I tend to test the heck out of my claybodies and glazes and would do stress tests on a few pieces to check for crazing and shivering plus check the absorption figures when trying a new claybody.

Many people on this forum work at cone 6 so it's nice to see someone working lowfire and posting their results.

Archived