Glaze facing kiln elements

Fusioniz

The shape of the "defect" is not consistent with an element effect but more of a flashing as indicated in the above posts.  The tall pot in the background has a similar pattern to the one on the right. How close were the pots to each other in the kiln?

On 11/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, Fusioniz said:

kiln prop?

I just want to clarify what you’re calling a kiln prop, because it can have 2 meanings. Do you mean the kiln post that the shelves stack on, or are you using the 3 pronged things that people will use to keep the pots of the shelves, especially if they’ve glazed the bottom of the pot? (British vs North American English)

Kiln posts are unlikely to flash anything, as they’re made of mullite, and need to be manufactured at much hotter temperatures than we fire any glaze kiln to. *IF your kiln furniture is second hand and *IF the first owner of them was doing something really, really weird, there’s an outside chance it could be residue from previous firings. But that’s not very likely either. Those “ifs” are big ones, and the posts would have had to have been exposed to high concentrations of something that’s probably metallic and bad for you. 

If you are using what I would call a kiln stilt (the 3 pronged thing) and the prongs are supposed to be kanthal wire but aren’t, again there’s an outside chance that the metal could be breaking down, with the resulting vapours causing the flashing. If this is the case, the flashing marks would line up with how your pieces were placed on stilts. Since your pieces are unglazed on the bottom though, I wouldn’t expect you to be using those. 

Out of curiosity, are the kiln shelves clean and free of any glaze drips, or are there leftovers from other firings? The fume patterns look like the gasses were moving upwards, especially on that piece in the centre, and the one in the back.

Archived