Any tips on purchasing a wheel?

KilnCat

So I've established that cheap wheels are a definite no. Thank you all for the input. I can see Brent wheels are one of the main things to keep an eye out for, along with a few other brands. They certainly are pricey new though, while used ones seem hard to come by, and I'm not sure what things to be wary of when looking to buy used. Any tips? I will probably end up buying new to minimise hassle, but am taking my time. Currently I hand sculpt everything, but I assume I would be better off with a wheel for a lot of standard projects. I'm thinking a Brent type C would fulfill most any potential need.

((I also finally figured out that I need to press the thumbs up icon twice for it to register)).

I'm a big fan of Skutt wheels. The large splash pan will keep your studio much cleaner, and the 1/3 hp model has more than enough power.

Basically any new US made wheel will work fine for 95% of potters, but get what you really want, even it if it means saving up for a little longer,  because it will last several decades.

Strive for test drives!
There's some variation in features, reach, height, pan configuration, sound type and amplitude, feel...
Like shopping for a bike, best to get some test rides in, for your direct experience may not line up with the spec sheet and images.

fwiw, I didn't think the Brent B,C,CXC units in the local JC ceramic lab were louder than my Skutt 1/2 hp unit. Maybe my Skutt is just loud? it certainly has more than ample twist, per Neil's comment - I found a deal on it, wouldn't pay extra for the Skutt 1/2 over the Skutt 1/3 hp, unless planning to throw huge for a long long time. Whilst on the subject o' hp, note distinction between continuous and peak/intermittent horsepower ratings, a 1/3 hp Skutt will likely out twist many other wheels rated at 1/2 hp (or more)...

This might be an unpopular opinion around here, but have you looked at a Speedball Artista wheel? It’s a tabletop wheel and currently is $500-600. (I bought mine 5 years ago for $385 I think.) 

It has been my only wheel for the past 5 years and works flawlessly. (Knock wood.) I make smaller pieces that top out at about 3 pounds, but it can handle more than that. I’ve made about 2,000 pieces on it - no major complaints. The splash pan is a bit small, but hasn’t been an issue for me. I use the StudioPro bat system with it. 

Just something to consider if you make smaller pieces and don’t want to drop $1500 on a wheel. 

Archived