What kind of clay should ^6 Saggars be made out of?

I am thinking of trying out saggar firing at mid-temp in an electric kiln to create an anoxic environment, and possibly for some other effects as well. I’m not sure what kind of clay to use to make saggars that  don’t need to be replaced after a few firings.  Should I use ^10 clay? I see Laguna has a ^6 flame ware clay for making cookware, would that be a good way to go? Would grog make a difference? Should I just expect that no matter the clay, they will need to be replaced frequently? Is it just a bad idea all together? Can’t seem to find much about this online. Any and all advice on making and firing with saggars also welcome! Thanks!

During my college Raku class we were required to build saggars and we used ^10 Laguna Soldate 60 which is a grogged clay and it worked out pretty well...I don't remember what cone the saggars were fired at, probably ^10, definitely gas.

On 10/24/2021 at 11:09 AM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I’d find something refractory like fireclay, and mix in some grog.  Something that’ll hold up to a lot of refiring.

When you say fireclay, do you mean as a material/ingredient or in a prefab clay body? Thanks!

You want a open groggy clay body-and for added durability wedge in some fireclay10-20-% (you can buy this at any ceramic outlet) type does dot matter. I would use cone 10 clay like the soldate mentioned above or any really groggy cone 10 clay.  The clay will not vitrify and thats good for a sagger.The more grog in the clay the better.

Archived