Project ideas for Grades 7-12

Hi All-- I am brand new here. I work on the wheel and have done some handbuilding. I have been asked to do a clay project with beginner students grades 7-12.  What are your best ideas? Pinch pot with lid? Coil vase? Tell me what your students have had success with.  Pictures would be great! Thanks in advance!

a  two part bird house.   wrap a can in paper and tape that to the can.  ADD A SECOND LAYER OF PAPER THAT IS ONLY TAPED TO ITSELF SO THE CAN WILL SLIDE OUT WHEN FINISHED.  wrap clay around the can being careful to keep a slab bottom from sticking to the can.   a pinched separate roof that hangs over the bottom shows beginners that pinch pots can be useful.  holes for hanging and a hole of the right size finish it off.  add drain and ventilation holes in the bottom.

I did several projects in my Ceramics 1 classes that were used to introduce basic skills. One of my favorite starting projects was a simple votive lantern. Made of slabs, it introduced slab construction on a small scale that also introduced beveled edges, scoring and slip or "magic water joining". The project also required 4 basic forms of surface decoration: Impressing, incising, added on clay, and piercing. The bottom was a square about 3", the sides were about 4-5" tall, tapered inward. The opening at the top allows heat to escape, and the side piercing allowed the corner cut was demonstrated using a hacksaw blade that made a simple cut symmetric on both sides without a lot of effort.

best,

Pres

candlebox2.JPG

Archived