Clayboss composite wheel head damage

Ghost

I just got a used Clayboss wheel and the wheel head has a composite surface. The center section of this material is coming off and I'm wondering the best thing to use to reattach. I'm willing to experiment as I can get a replacement wheel head if needed but would rather try to repair this one first.

I've also never seen a wheel head that was anything other than metal. I considered removing it but don't think it's possible as it covers all the way around.

• 11 months later...
On 6/12/2021 at 3:31 PM, Mark C. said:

Never heard of or seen a composite commercial wheelhead

How about  bolting a new bat to head for the top surface

My old CI has the same wheelhead that has split in one of the guide grooves, causing a slight surface offset, but not enough to cause real concern. I was contemplating having a machine shop fabricating a new aluminum wheelhead, but I like your suggestion of mounting a bat to the surface. I think I would go with 3/16 or 1/4 inch aluminum material with countersunk screw holes...I also have some 3/8" Corian that might also work.

1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

I think I would go with 3/16 or 1/4 inch aluminum material with countersunk screw holes...I also have some 3/8" Corian that might also work.

Check out eBay. I just recently bought a 3/8" thick 11.5" diameter aluminum disc for about $27. There are lots of thickness and diameter options there. You'll need to sand the edges.

I only bring this up because I saw someone who was pretty new to clay do this on a FB post. They’d gotten a used wheel that had a very warped wheelhead, and they wanted to know how to fix it. After finally posting an image, we determined the wheel still had a plastic bat the same size as the head mounted to it via bat pins, and they’d mistaken that for the actual aluminum wheelhead. They removed the bat and it was fine. They were kind of embarrassed, but if you weren’t familiar, the way it was on there, it was an easy mistake to make.