Coyote white glaze

Alexclay

Hi!

I have a new evenheat kiln and just mixed my first batch of coyote white cone 5-6 glaze. I’m running a test glaze kiln tomorrow but am conflicted on what schedule I should use. In the past I’ve used the preprogrammed cone 6 and have tested 10 hours and 13 hours with a very short soak at the top. Coyote recommends cone 5 with a 30 minute soak, I assume to get close to cone 6 but not over fire. My question is how long of a fire would you recommend? I have the preprogrammed options of 7 hours, 10, or 13. I’m worried about pinholes so my instinct is 10 or 13 hours but that would be a slower ramp up. Any advice for coyote glazes?

Hopefully someone will chime in here that uses Coyote glazes, but generally speaking it can take a few firings to get clay and glaze and loading dialled in for the way your kiln fires. If Coyote recommends cone 5 + a 30 minute soak then I would do that first using the med firing speed. I'ld also put a few cone packs in the kiln, bottom, middle and top shelves. BTW pinholes can be from the glaze not smoothing out but often they are from an improper bisque, especially with dark claybodies.

Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks both! I did a 10 hour cone 5 with a 20 minute hold at the top. The coyote glaze looks great but on lines where it met some stroke and coat glazes they bled, which is not something I’ve seen. I’m running an additional test with a shorter hold, hoping that helps with the running lines since I need them to be pretty crisp for the project I’m working on. 

was the running on a vertical meeting spot or horizontal?   which ran to which?

sounds as though your coyote glazes are not the kind in pint bottles but a powder mix,  right?

i  have a recipe for a glorious shiny white glaze that i use stroke & coat over quite often.   no problems at all on my clay.   see my albums for photos.

sorry, cannot find the photos i want in my albums.  lost lots of photos through stupidity with computers.   anyhow, do you mix your own glazes?  if so, do you want the recipe for white?

On 4/11/2021 at 11:53 AM, oldlady said:

was the running on a vertical meeting spot or horizontal?   which ran to which?

sounds as though your coyote glazes are not the kind in pint bottles but a powder mix,  right?

i  have a recipe for a glorious shiny white glaze that i use stroke & coat over quite often.   no problems at all on my clay.   see my albums for photos.

sorry, cannot find the photos i want in my albums.  lost lots of photos through stupidity with computers.   anyhow, do you mix your own glazes?  if so, do you want the recipe for white?

Yes, they are from powder. They ran at horizontal meeting points but lowering my hold helped a lot, right now it's just bothering the perfectionist in me.

I'd love the recipe! Thank you so much!

here is the white liner glaze i use.   it is from a 1976 book by george and nancy wettlaufer.   ok all you very young people who think the world began with the invention of the cell phone, yes, it is old.  so what?100_0700.JPG.380ab4174ac8887ffa35b925b507f90c.JPG

it works well on my clay and was developed by a ceramic engineer to fit many different clay bodies that fire at cone 6.  the book is "getting into pots".  very simple instructions on glazing.

______cone 6 white XS glaze______________

soda spar C-6 suggested                          40

whiting                                                                20

ball clay (C&C is the whitest)                 10

zinc oxide                                                             5

silica (325 is my choice)                             20

zircopax                                                              20

i know it adds up to more than 100.    get a copy of the book and read about the ingredients to make a base glaze that offers several variations by changing one or two ingredients.  if you can find a copy, it is on page 127.   reading the whole book might provide some humor since they helpfully tell you what to buy to set up a studio and include prices from 1976.

Archived