Kiln Lid Gap

Scott.lee

Hi everyone,

I recently took the plunge and got myself a new Skutt 818 kiln. I set it up and started a test fire like they recommended in the manual. But while it was firing, I noticed a gap between the lid and the main body. I'm not sure if it's a fitting issue and if I have a defective model but I wanted to get opinions from those who have more experiences with kilns before contacting the dealership.

In the last image of the two bars, the bottom bar is not perfectly sitting parallel to the body of the kiln so I'm wondering if that's the cause of the issue. Should I send it back or get it repaired?

Thank you all for your replies!

IMG_8554.JPG

IMG_8555.JPG

IMG_8556.JPG

IMG_8557.JPG

Lids expand as they heat, and since they're attached at the hinge side, the front edge lifts and you get a gap. A small gap is normal. Your gap is may be a hair bigger than I like to see, but not unusual. That model of kiln has plenty of power, though, so it's probably not going to hurt anything. You could put a latch at the front edge to keep it from lifting so much, though. Is the lid sitting flush all around when the kiln is cold? If so, then no adjustment is necessary. However if the front edge is gapped when the kiln is cold, then you need to raise the hinge side a little bit. Unfortunately, Skutt hinges aren't adjustable, so you have to raise the whole metal jacket by loosening the clamps and wiggling it up. 

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

Lids expand as they heat, and since they're attached at the hinge side, the front edge lifts and you get a gap. A small gap is normal. Your gap is may be a hair bigger than I like to see, but not unusual. That model of kiln has plenty of power, though, so it's probably not going to hurt anything. You could put a latch at the front edge to keep it from lifting so much, though. Is the lid sitting flush all around when the kiln is cold? If so, then no adjustment is necessary. However if the front edge is gapped when the kiln is cold, then you need to raise the hinge side a little bit. Unfortunately, Skutt hinges aren't adjustable, so you have to raise the whole metal jacket by loosening the clamps and wiggling it up. 

Hey Neil, thanks so much for your response! I will try it when it cools down :)

• 11 months later...

My Skutt kiln does the same thing. It's about a 16th of an inch gap cold or when firing. I have a green egg smoker/barbecue. I wonder if I could use some of that high temperature felt/ sealer tape thats made for high temp and put it on the outer portion of  top and bottom where they meet?  Or leave it??

My last L&L had a gap at the top because I replaced a brick with one of the newer bricks. Kiln fired fine, light from kiln lit up the white wall opposite of the kiln. . . I could tell when kiln was ready to shut off by the color of the streak of light there. I should have shaved the brick down but never got around to it. It was that way for the next 15 firings.

best,

Pres

1 hour ago, Hippie Dad Bonsai said:

My Skutt kiln does the same thing. It's about a 16th of an inch gap cold or when firing. I have a green egg smoker/barbecue. I wonder if I could use some of that high temperature felt/ sealer tape thats made for high temp and put it on the outer portion of  top and bottom where they meet?  Or leave it??

1/16th inch isn't a big deal. I wouldn't mess with any fiber gasket material.

Archived