Need Help Finding Old Magazine Article!

Sometime in the last decade (sorry, my memory can't narrow it down further, except that it wasn't in the last couple of years!), either Ceramics Monthly or Pottery Making Illustrated had an article about glaze expansion that included recipes for 5 versions of a clear glaze, ranging from low to very high expansion. At the time, I tore out the page and put it somewhere I'd be able to find it...which, of course, means I can't find it anywhere! I have the test tiles I did at the time, but now that I understand a bit more about the chemicals involved, I'd like to look at the actual recipes. I've tried searching on the Ceramic Arts Network website, but I haven't found the article. Does anyone else remember this article and know where I can find it archived? 

Thanks! 

If you do not find it you can search Glazy.org use the keyword low expansion  or high expansion and you will get a variety of glazes which you can study the recipes. Not all of them will be successes btw. 
My guess is you will get variations using low expansion flux that have calculated COE that are low. Calculated COE is an ok guide for a trend but until you test, the fired COE is most often quite different. All good to study though for trends.

Mastering Cone 6 Glazes book had a series of 5 glazes going from low to high expansion. The low expansion one isn't very low though. You can see all the recipes on Glazy here. Note that unless you have G200 feldspar you won't be able to make most of them without subbing for that and balancing the recipes accordingly. 

I did a search in both Pottery Making Illustrated plus Ceramics Monthly and the only ones I found that went from high to low expansion are cone 10 recipes, from the June 2015 CM using spodumene to supply lithia below.

One caveat to using recipes and comparing the COE figures is to remember they work within a system or family of glaze materials. For example if you look at the version 1 and 2 in the recipes below you note they contain the same materials. Comparing the COE's between these is fine but if you add another flux, magnesium for example, to only one of the recipes then you can't accurately compare one recipe COE with magnesium and one without as the fluxes don't work in a strictly linear fashion. It will get you in the ballpark though. If for example we take the calculated COE of version 1 from below at 7.07 and make up another glaze using magnesium to lower the COE to the same 7.07 is doesn't necessarily mean they both fit the same claybody.

image.png.139dc6401a89b496ea0643950a3b0253.png

Archived