Glaze Application Question- Susan McHenry

Can anyone offer insight into why I’m getting what look like pin holes on the surfaces of my  freshly glazed pots? These little pin holes happen on all my pots, but only on areas that have bisque fired slip underneath. I have to rub out the surface where these pin holes appear since my clear glaze is stable. I’d love to be able to solve this problem. Thanks for your help! 

Hi @Susan McHenry, I'm taking the liberty of editing your title to add more detail to get some more eyes on the problem for you. It's best to summarize your question for the title, rather than using your name.

Regarding the pinholes, do you wash or dampen your bisque before glazing? What's the glaze recipe? Perhaps there's something in the recipe that's contributing.

I used to have the same problem when I used a red underglaze that was bisque fired on. I think what was happening was the underglaze had a different porosity than the parts of the pot without underglaze. When the pot was dipped in the glaze there wasn't a good even lay down of the glaze and air was expelled from the underglazed areas causing the pinholes. I got around this by spraying the pots with this particular red underglaze but that's not necessarily a solution for you. Whats in the slip? Other thought would be like Callie said and dampen the pot prior to glazing. 

1 hour ago, Susan McHenry said:

I damp sponge all my bisqueware before glazing.  Recipe is:

Gerstley borate 28

Nepheline Syenite 46

EPK 6

Silica 20

Hmmm, interesting recipe. Is there something you particularly like about this and do you feel it is durable?  High levels of Gerstley can cause issues, the amount of boron indicates this probably will melt at cone 04 and not having 10-20% clay can mean suspension issues but with this much  Gerstley might not be noticeable. Additionally the flux ratio is well outside known likely durable glazes and the amount of silica and alumina is on the high end for cone six.

Might be a great recipe in the end though, is there something you like in particular about it?

3 hours ago, Susan McHenry said:

Maybe I should rethink my glaze?

Lots of satin glazes. Glazes with large amounts of Gerstley  can create application problems in slow drying and of course the inevitable pinholes as the air slowly bubbles up through it. Is your clay cone 1 or are you just firing it that way for the finish?

if you  do change your clay and want to fire at cone 6, there are lots of glazes that will probably suit you.   you might want to look at a very good but simple book that was written by a ceramic engineer and his wife.   it is called "Getting into pots"  and was published in 1976.   see pages 123 to 127 for an easy way to mix your own glazes.

24 minutes ago, oldlady said:

if you  do change your clay and want to fire at cone 6, there are lots of glazes that will probably suit you.   you might want to look at a very good but simple book that was written by a ceramic engineer and his wife.   it is called "Getting into pots"  and was published in 1976.   see pages 123 to 127 for an easy way to mix your own glazes.

Nancy Wettlaufer: Getting into pots

2nd hand from 5$, new from 23$  tinyurl.com/3xf4ldtu

Archived