outdoor fairs and festivals 2021

@Callie Beller DieselThe idea of breaking down selling online/shipping into small bits is what I need to do...tackle a little bit at a time. Even though I won't start changing my website for a few months,  I can go ahead and start with the tasks as you've mentioned. It's also great to see you guys throwing numbers around....start demystifying the whole process :)  

8 hours ago, GEP said:

The costs for the $12 and $18 shipments cover me when I ship the box to the opposite coast. So when I lose money on the larger orders, I make up for it on the orders that get shipped within my region. 

That makes sense.  I shipped a number of small boxes (2 sipper cups and a small ornament) and usually the shipping was around $13 no matter where it was going.  Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana.    Ok...makes sense.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:51 PM, GEP said:

am using a 3-tier flat rate:

0 to $50 = $12 shipping

$51 to $100 = $18

$101 and above $24

With pots that's a fair way to price. 

I once bought some embroidery thread from a mail order Co.  Postage price was based on selling price.  6 reels of embroidery thread weighed and needed same size box, as 6 reels of sewing thread. Embroidery thread was 4 x price, so the postage was more than double.    Needless to say I thought twice before buying from them again.

Have a rule, but be flexible and open to your customers comments .

I find the shipping discussion here highly interesting. I have always put the shipping cost on the customer, including shipping in the billing as a receipt from USPS. I also add 15% of the item cost for handling/packing.

I had not figured on a tier level breakdown, but then most of my shipping is 14" boxes packed tightly with a chalice and paten. However I have used the same technique for shipping sets of mixing bowls or pitchers and bowls. This definitely gives me something to think about. 

best,

Pres

2 hours ago, Chilly said:

Have a rule, but be flexible and open to your customers comments .

Yes, this. You gotta make sure it makes sense to the customer. In the online sales I did this past year, there were always some folks buying multiple items in separate purchases. They do this because my pots can sell out pretty fast, so they pay for the item they want most, then go back and buy additional things if they are still available. They end up paying a lot more in shipping than my tier system indicates. In those cases, I refund them the extra shipping. It’s typically 3 or 4 refunds per sale, so it’s not that much work. I feel like they shouldn’t be charged extra for being wily and super motivated. 

This one couple wanted two pots, so they logged in on two separate computers in their house at 12 noon sharp to make sure they got them. You gotta take care of customers like that! 

31 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I have a further question about shipping then: is adding the extra shipping to your online sales prices making anyone question their in-person selling price?

No, because I think my online customers understand that they have to pay extra. My normal prices are based on metrics that I gathered at many shows over a period of years. My online sales involve a much smaller quantity of pots. If charged the “online price” for in person sales, I would probably find some customers who would still pay it, but the quantity would be lower. I’m looking for the sweet spot of a price that is fair for me, but also generates as much volume as possible. 

Archived