Metallic/iridescent glaze?

liam, isn't stannous chloride fuming the very dangerous practice that requires almost a space suit for safety?    i attended a firing  in england where the potters had welding quality full head coverings, body suits and boots besides huge leather gloves.    look for Eeles Family Pottery,  some is raku but the iridescent stoneware is gorgeous, i have a bowl and a small box.

yes stannous chloride fuming can be very dangerous practice . I have done it in salt firing a few times on the cool down. I leaned it in collage of all places now its not taught I'm sure to many permits and red tape. Nowdays folks are worried about iron in clay? You need a good respirator. Often a green cloud comes out the stack and settles to the ground like a sci fi movie.I have some stannous still for this use. The results can be wonderfull to  cloudy  dull wares. When I pass my shop will be a super fund site.As I have all the old good stuff.

1 hour ago, Mark C. said:

I think around 1400f, I'll have to check)

Yes about dull red heat. I use a long stainless  metal 1/4 cup in a piece of rebar to fume the salt kiln. 

I found the cloudiness comes on whenever the stannous chloride touches a pot, it actually looks kind of cool sometimes, if a pellet lands on a piece it sometimes leaves a cloudy white dot with a halo of rainbows.  Nothing worth pursuing though

Archived