Bentonite

Hello All,

I’ll be experimenting with clear  glazes from John Britt’s book and wondering which Bentonite is the right one to use. There are a few options available; Bentonite HPM-20, Bentonite Volclay 200 mesh, Bentonite 325 mesh, Hectalite Bentonite.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which is the best one? Thank you in advance. 

6 hours ago, Sig Student said:

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which is the best one? Thank you in advance. 

Generally bentonite is added as a suspender for glazes that lack the ability to stay suspended. Bentonite generally is limited to no more than 2% addition and really does not add anything to the glaze in terms of functional Chems.  Clay is a good suspender so when folks design glazes they try to have between 10-20% clay to reduce the need for suspenders like bentonite. The best one is the one not needed, meaning design with  enough clay when possible.. The next best is probably what is easiest to mix in so finer would be better.

Cosmetic grade bentonite, <$2/lb (US), bulk price, and up (way up), wow, I had no idea. Bentonite is FDA approved for use in food, wow 2. The pottery suppliers I've used carry one or two choices, significantly cheaper than that marketed as cosmetic and/or food grade.

On 1/6/2021 at 6:17 PM, Bill Kielb said:

Clay is a good suspender so when folks design glazes they try to have between 10-20% clay to reduce the need for suspenders

I've found that a belt can also be used to reduce the need for suspenders but the ones made with clay tend to fall apart...:D

The best commercial suspender widely available is BentoneMA. This product is highly refined hectorite. you need to disperse any suspender in dry ingredients before water is added. Bentonite is a rather poor suspender; but it is cheap and gets the job done. Cosmetic bentonite are highly refined in order to get USPS- food safe grading stamps. I use USPS food grade zinc in recipes intended for functional use. 

Tom

Archived