Pugged Clay Becomes Short

Sbsoso

9 minutes ago, CactusPots said:

I don't think my PP VPM 30 has a speed control.

According to the features published it can automatically and also has a speed control.

“Intellectual Mixing Technology: Real-time monitoring of clay consistency can be accomplished while mixing. Similar to an automatic transmission, the Pugger-Mixer can automatically speed up or slow down based on the hardness of the clay being processed. The operator can also control the speed by controlling the variable speed knob.”

Edited by Bill Kielb

1 minute ago, Bill Kielb said:

According to the features published it can automatically and also has a speed control.

Pretty sure mine doesn't.   Just start, stop, pug and vacuum on the control.   I can see where it would be useful.  Maybe the doc you're looking at is a new upgrade model.

4 minutes ago, CactusPots said:

Mine never sounds like it down shifts.  Same old granny gear all the time.

Probably a function of ECM motor use in the last five years or so. Easy feature, soft start, greater efficiency motor. It appears to be a base feature from what I read, maybe not. If they moved to ECM motors it’s an easy feature to add and the auto speed makes sense.

• 1 year later...

My wife has been making tile for 35 years and we have been using a Peter Pugger for about 20 or so years (have their first de-airing one).  We have always had the similar short clay problem with pugged scraps.  No speed control on the mill.  I'm guessing wet pug and aging might help.  Any more thoughts on this subject?

Hi @Carver and welcome to the forum.

If your pugged scraps are only from slab work then I agree about pugging the clay wetter and ageing it like you said since none of the fines will have been removed (like happens with thrown clay). Just for an experiment what happens if you dampened some scraps and hand wedge them? Is the hand wedged clay short?

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 7:09 PM, glazenerd said:

Your plasticity issue is caused by one of two things: the % of plasticizer has been lowered, or the plasticizer (ball clay) has lower plasticity properties. The second is Nep Sy being used as a body flux. Nep Sy has 14% soluble salts that can migrate: which can cause rapid dehydration of water. Sodium is hydrophobic- fancy word for- not fond of water. Again adding water compounds the problem by allowing further migration of soluble salts. 

As others stated: de-airing pugmill has zero influence. All a de-airing pluggers does is remove the air between clay particles which speeds up the transfer of negative particle charges. De-airing has zero influence of the actual chemistry of the material.

Tom

@glazenerdSo, do you think there a solution for a loss in plasticity in porcelain? I really hope you don't say Epsom salts. I had a lot of flaws in the engobe and glaze when I tried a version of my porcelain that had Epsom salts added at the factory. 

While de-airing may not change the chemistry of the material, doesn't it still affect the function/ behaviour? A moist clay whose particles are not as tightly packed together will crack more when bent, won't it? 

Edited by happy_pots