Fixing a fracture

My handle has a fracture in it and I'm not sure if I should break it cleanly off first before I reattach is or if I should use epoxy glue around the area. It pretty much goes around the attached area. I'm pretty new to this, so I'm wondering what my options are.

crack.jpeg.16b2c68c9b31f290d0885194e8e061fb.jpeg

• teatime changed the title to Fixing a fracture

Hi Tea!

Could be the fissure is superficial - where there's some solid attachment within?

Breaking it off to re-glue would likely resolve any dilemma - as in more pieces.

How's the upper handle juncture look?

That's an otherwise good looking handle! Smoothing/smearing the handle clay into the pot can be rather time consuming. Rounding off the handle end before attaching - leaving a uniform crease where the glaze will fill - is an option

image.png.c93137a01c1a2488a8f7c19257fa7558.png

...putting a dab of slip on there - enough so it squishes out when the handle is attached - and smoothing that into a small fillet with a finger (I use a damp brush) is an option as well. If the slip is a bit on the wet side, and the fillet large, the slip may crack; use stiffer slip, and leave a smaller fillet. Any road, filling a superficial crack is easy enough (with slip - dampen with a damp brush, apply with a damp brush, smooth with a damp brush).

A superficial fissure (say three times fast) in bisque - dampen it with that brush, pick up some glaze and work it well in thar.

Or just chuck it and make another.

28 minutes ago, Hulk said:

Hi Tea!

Could be the fissure is superficial - where there's some solid attachment within?

Breaking it off to re-glue would likely resolve any dilemma - as in more pieces.

Or just chuck it and make another.

Since you're "pretty new to this", save it as a reminder for the period of time it takes to learn how to properly attach handles. Then archive it or toss it. I still have the first mug I made and occasionally use it. It's heavy and "ugly" compared to the work I do now but it is a reminder of my origins in the pursuit of pottery...

9 hours ago, teatime said:

My handle has a fracture in it and I'm not sure if I should break it cleanly off first before I reattach is or if I should use epoxy glue around the area. It pretty much goes around the attached area. I'm pretty new to this, so I'm wondering what my options are.

crack.jpeg.16b2c68c9b31f290d0885194e8e061fb.jpeg

Since its fired. Use the mug until it breaks -best option

For me, it's almost never worth trying to "fix" something. Best to let it meet Mr. Hammer & begin again until I get it right. I definitely don't want to let any flawed piece roaming around out in the wild--so I never give stuff like that away for free, like to relatives/friends, nor sell them as "seconds". If it is so precious I  can't let go of it, I just keep it for myself. ..but I also try not to let things with cracks etc. become all that precious, either. Though I do have a raku tile on my desk that broke in 4 pieces and is epoxied back together & enhanced with gold enamel over the seams LOL.

Archived