Hand dipping help

AdamFG

Hi!

Looking for any suggestions on alternatives to these when hand dipping into glaze. Due to the Covid Lockdown  delivery on these is going to be a couple of weeks and I really want to get moving and working sooner than that.

https://www.potclays.co.uk/-and-39;fingerdips-and-39;-glaze-dipping-aid-(pair)?search=Fingerdips

I’m glazing green ware and working on a single fire.

Up till now I’ve only glazed the inside of mugs and bowls and have poured the glaze in then tipped it out.

I would like to apply a clear glaze all over and have found my tongs are leaving marks on the green ware which, whilst it isn’t the end of the world, is a bit annoying. On the smaller mugs it’s not a major issue but the heavier bowls are suffering more.

Any smart alternatives to minimise my finger marks would be appreciated.

cheers

Adam

Hi Adam!

I'm glazing bisque; any road, have been glazing the interior first - with an extra dip for the lip - then allowing to dry fully before glazing the outside, so, no finger marks yet.

For the outside, if dipping foot first, my hand is on the inside, no finger marks. If dipping rim first, I'm gripping the foot (I cut feet into just about everything), so, still no finger marks.

I do take the time to wax, cut, and sponge for sharp rim edges when dipping rim first, also not averse to taping feet for a sharp edge. 

With a waxed/cut rim, you can dip part of the outside rim first, then dip the rest foot first later - tape for a sharp edge (wax before pulling the tape).

Tony Hansen's article on sharp edge liner glaze

https://digitalfire.com/article/how+to+liner-glaze+a+mug

He has a You Tube on it as well...

Read swhere where pots placed on shalloew pan, on a bat so  off thebottom of  pan and having previously been glazed inside, the glaze it brushed on to rotating pot, or pot rotated to be brushed, then removed from wheelhead by the bat.

Old lady, once firer, sprays I think

You might try the idea of using balloons inflated in the inside of the mugs and bowls if they are deep enough...Inflate them enough so that they stay in place when you pick them up by the stem of the balloon. The balloon will seal the inside right up to the rim...

1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

You might try the idea of using balloons inflated in the inside of the mugs and bowls if they are deep enough...Inflate them enough so that they stay in place when you pick them up by the stem of the balloon. The balloon will seal the inside right up to the rim...

I wouldn't risk doing this with greenware.

9 minutes ago, Chilly said:

I wouldn't risk doing this with greenware.

You're right about that, Chilly...my mistake...but it would also depend on the wall thickness of the pots since the outward pressure would be pretty even. I, myself, would be willing to try it on a few pieces of my usual production to determine the risk. I wouldn't do it on something special.

Archived