2 best low fire glazes for 1 time firing - recommendations, please

Nataliep

Dear ceramic masters,

I teach art to a small group of kids and we just had a few weeks of "clay play". We used Amaco low fire white clay to create sculptures (that we did not fire) and also a few slab pieces that we will fire at a friend's kiln.  Since it is a one-time endeavor, I am looking to buy just a couple of great interesting and full proof  low fire glazes, 1 pint each (to be applied to bisque fired pieces). I was thinking something blue-green that creates different shades depending on the thickness, making texture look interesting  and a white or clear mostly for glazing the inside of the pieces. I've been thinking about Amaco Liquid gloss transparent turquoise or green, or Amaco F series.  Please  let me know iwhat yo uthink about that choice, and whether you have any better suggestions. Greatly appreciate your advice!  Below are some of the kids' creations.121435559_10224628671083784_910985455938

34 minutes ago, Nataliep said:

Dear ceramic masters,

I teach art to a small group of kids and we just had a few weeks of "clay play". We used Amaco low fire white clay to create sculptures (that we did not fire) and also a few slab pieces that we will fire at a friend's kiln.  Since it is a one-time endeavor, I am looking to buy just a couple of great interesting and full proof  low fire glazes, 1 pint each (to be applied to bisque fired pieces). I was thinking something blue-green that creates different shades depending on the thickness, making texture look interesting  and a white or clear mostly for glazing the inside of the pieces. I've been thinking about Amaco Liquid gloss transparent turquoise or green, or Amaco F series.  Please  let me know iwhat yo uthink about that choice, and whether you have any better suggestions. Greatly appreciate your advice!  Below are some of the kids' creations.121435559_10224628671083784_910985455938

It's largely a budget consideration. Depending on your location, you may be able to find cheap to free stuff around. Or even a donation. Everyone has a glaze around they don't use anymore! 

Those are freaking awesome! How old?

Sorce

not a teacher but i have worked with some kids and noticed something about them.   they LOVE to add water to the color and that thins it out so much that there is not color left on the piece.  especially if they are using brushes to apply the glaze.   

what seemed to work was having a brush in each container so they did not constantly wash out the blue and use that wet brush in the green and wash it out again for whatever comes next.

The work is wonderful!  Yay!  I'd suggest that you take a look at Amaco's website because they have samples of how the glazes will look, before and after firing.  So do most other commercial glaze makers.  The two you've chosen probably will be perfect.  But, beware!  There's nothing that's fool-proof about ceramics!  Good luck and have fun!

thank you all! I don't want any random leftover glaze, I want 1-2 awesome glazes, tested and tried! :)  I did go to the websites and looked at images, but being rather new to glazing (only took a couple semesters of ceramics many years ago), I do appreciate everybody's advice! The kids were 10, 12 and 14 and  2 of the pieces are mine (the largest panel of houses and the soap dish). 

8 hours ago, Nataliep said:

, I want 1-2 awesome glazes, tested and tried! :)

Unfortunately it’s hard to get that. Generally it requires personal testing with your clay and your application methods and your firing .... etc.... to find that awesome glaze that works for you near every time. Commercial glazes likely the best path for you to experiment with and have some sense of how it should look in advance. Nice work!

Archived