Can you dry work in an electric kiln?

Hi all,

is it possible to dry work in an electric kiln, say on a continuous  low temperature? I feel like I’ve heard something about drying cycles / programs, but when it comes to researching I haven’t managed to find any info. If it’s possible, what temperature and length of drying would you recommend?

I usually dry my work slowly and evenly, but I’m trying to finish a big commission asap, and have a single pot that’s not dry enough to bisque with the others yet. I realise it could be a bit risky, but I’m just wondering if this is something anybody else does occasionally or regularly.

thank you!

@Pontstudio Depends on thickness of clay , if moisture trapped in thick walled pot it will explode.

Candling kiln overnight is a common practice.

Pity it is a commission that you are trying this out with.

I have brought a pot into warm house, set it on cooling tray all day and then put it in warming oven of my wood stove, door open all night before kilning . Pot was thrown  and uniform thickness.

Candling name of process of drying ware in kiln.

About 180 deg F for 8-10hrsish

80deg C ish I'd take it to 80 over a couple of hours

Big pot get it off shelf with rods of clay to let air circulate.

Good luck!!

It depends, eh? I'd be placing that pot in middle of kiln 

Lets know how it goes.

@Babs candling is the magical word I was looking for... now I can do some proper research! Thank you!! 

the wet piece is a ‘backup’ for the commission so it’s not essential, but if there was a way of drying it in time I’d feel more comfortable knowing there was a backup piece, should anything else go wrong in the firing. 

thanks so much for your advice.. it’s a coil pot so I’d definitely follow your advice to place in the middle of the kiln with props beneath it to let air circulate / moisture escape. I’ll give it a bit more thought.. 

Ditto to everything Babs said.

Air circulation is just as important as the heat.  For instance, with student wares, especially those that have a heavy bottom, get fired upside down, so the air can get to it, instead of being insulated by the kiln shelf.

Drying things outside on warm day, with a bit of a breeze dries things extremely well!

The heater in my classroom also dries things well (sometimes too well) ask the students who meant to leave their slabs on the heater to set up a bit, and now the edges are bone dry and curled upward...

45 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

In grad school we had an electric kiln that had a hole drilled in the side of it so we could attach a small squirrel cage blower to it to speed up drying. Worked very well.

I suppose kiln vents now serve the same purpose.

Also, I've always found the term "squirrel cage blower/ fan" to be amusing.  Like, how did that get to be the name?  I'm guessing because the mesh construction looks like a squirrel cage, but what exactly is a squirrel cage?  Is that where delinquent squirrels are kept, when they break the law?  If so, I need one for those couple of squirrels who keep getting into my bird feeder!

3 hours ago, Benzine said:

If so, I need one for those couple of squirrels who keep getting into my bird feeder!

Just get some of those  metal mesh bird feeders especially designed to thwart squirrels (they don't). Remove the lid--you will have an instant squirrel cage! Take the squirrel about 15 miles out of town. He won't show up again  for a couple of days at least. Maybe let the birds know they can eat in peace on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. 

Archived