covering holes in items with tramsparent glass or glaze?

is it possible to make an item with holes in it, and cover those holes with

something like glaze, or glass to make it solid and transparent?

There is a technique in enameling called Plique-à-jour where a metal piece is cut out and then the enamel,basically ground glass and flux, is filled in the spaces. The piece is created resting on a metal foil or a piece of mica. After firing the piece readily releases from the mica giving a stained glass effect. Something similar is done with porcelain where carved areas coming close to piercing, but not quite are glazed with transparent glazes. I do not know of any way to do the Plique-à-jour effect on the clay, but developing such a technique may very be worth the years of effort. Maybe someone out there knows of it already being done.

what a beautiful technique!

I have done this quite by accident with pierced low fired earthenware fragrance tart burners, the clear overglaze ran into and filled the pierced decorations. I really was pleasantly surprised with the effect once used when the candlelight shown through softly. No where near the beautifully delicate porcelain work on your link-

Wow, will have to keep my eye open and add one to my treasure collection when found. thanks for the link!

As long as the holes are not too big, you can get them to fill in with just about any glaze. It occasionally happens on my colanders, which have 1/4 in holes.

Thats why I bumped my colander hole size up a tad from 1/4 inch.

Mark

As long as the holes are not too big, you can get them to fill in with just about any glaze. It occasionally happens on my colanders, which have 1/4 in holes.

Thats why I bumped my colander hole size up a tad from 1/4 inch.

Mark

Yeah, I've thought about that...

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THOSE SMALL BLUE AND WHITE TEA BOWLS WERE MADE BY PUSHING RICE KERNALS INTO THE THIN WALLS OF A LEATHER HARD POT. THEN THE PIECE IS RAW GLAZED[NO BISQUE]. WHEN THE PIECE IS FIRED-oops, caps lock on again. When the piece is fired, the rice burns out, leaving the clear glaze to catch the light.The rice kernals are also placed in a pattern.

TJR.

Archived