Bone China Clay

Farideh

Hello All,     I have recently become interested in making ceramic flowers and my online search has pointed me to Bone China Clay as best clay for the job.    I have not been able to find Bone China Clay in US.  I live in Oregon.   What is another alternative Clay best suited for this work?

thank you!

No.  I am attempting to Hand build flowers.   For functional and decorative pieces I use B-Mix 5 or Laguna Porcelain Frost.   I tried B-mix for flowers first, but, it seems not too well suited for larger peddles.  My internet search pointed to Bone China as best clay for these pieces, but I can’t find any place that sells it.

9 hours ago, Farideh said:

Hello All,     I have recently become interested in making ceramic flowers and my online search has pointed me to Bone China Clay as best clay for the job.    I have not been able to find Bone China Clay in US.  I live in Oregon.   What is another alternative Clay best suited for this work?

thank you!

Bone China is mostly a commercial body these days: formulated as a soft paste or for jiggering/press. Some potters mix their own for specific use. FINd: Grolleg porcelain with shrinkage 13.5% or above, with preferable BentoneMA plasticizer. That formula will allow you working time, will accept stamping or detailing well.

Edit add: and will fire high/bright white which will not interfere with color.

T

Bone China is for slipcasting, it has zero plasticity and even with additions of a plasticizer it is very short.  I think it was invented during a time where British potters were attempting to replicate the appearance of Chinese porcelain.  It is basically bone ash, primary clay and feldspar in somewhat even amounts.  I have read somewhere that it's either once fired with no glaze, or if glazed it's reverse fired.  Bisqued to maturity (cone 7-8) and then glaze fired to 06.  I don't know if this was a requirement or an artifact of the times.  

If you were going to make flowers with it, I think you'd have a really bad time with cracking, falling apart and not being able to attach pieces together.

The only person I know who works with bone china clay has to mix it herself, and it is NOT what I would term a user friendly substance for modelling. As Liam mentioned it’s very short, and is extremely prone to warping in the kiln. I second Mark’s thoughts about using a translucent porcelain like Frost or Polar Ice. 

Archived