Glazing a Bisque sculpture to witness cone 04

Hi experienced glazers!

I’ve been making these sculptures and have been advised by my local artisan center who fires only to cone 04, that I should not glaze all the way to the bottom for fear of the  glaze running during the firing process and sticking to the kiln shelf.  My question is, can I glaze to the bottom and  have the artisan center use stilts when firing.  I’m using Western Ceramic colors Brad 721 Jon’s Bronze specialty metallic.  Any advise?

E521D2E2-BA5B-457A-9887-9E8EADD157C5.jpeg

Hi Vail!

You might consider rolling out a slab to set the sculpture on (a "waster"), hence, any sticking/runoff is kept away from the shelf. How close to the bottom edge you can get with a particular glaze, glaze application, clay, clay surfacing, and firing schedule - testing tells the tale! 

On 6/7/2020 at 9:18 AM, Hulk said:

Hi Vail!

You might consider rolling out a slab to set the sculpture on (a "waster"), hence, any sticking/runoff is kept away from the shelf. How close to the bottom edge you can get with a particular glaze, glaze application, clay, clay surfacing, and firing schedule - testing tells the tale! 

thanks to all of you experienced glazers for your answers!  so, a follow on question would be about the "waster" . . . just to validate, the waster also needs to be fired first, prior to setting my glazed item (picture was in the first post) on top of it, correct?  One answer was if the glaze sticks to the waster, it can be grinded off . . . if that does happen, are there specific grinding tools you could recommend?  Also, what if I were to put stilts on top of the waster and then place the glazed item?  Could that also be an option?

If you know these glazes do not run the waster plus sand/ fine grog would do the trick.

Wax bottom as usual.

I use carboradum  disc to grind the pot.

Waser got glaze on ...throw away.

Others use a diamond pad.

If not prefired your waster should be absolutely dry....

3 hours ago, Vailnewtopottery said:

thanks to all of you experienced glazers for your answers!  so, a follow on question would be about the "waster" . . . just to validate, the waster also needs to be fired first, prior to setting my glazed item (picture was in the first post) on top of it, correct?  One answer was if the glaze sticks to the waster, it can be grinded off . . . if that does happen, are there specific grinding tools you could recommend?  Also, what if I were to put stilts on top of the waster and then place the glazed item?  Could that also be an option?

Both sculpture and waster slab are bisqued-preferably together-if not then yes they both need to be bisque fired then after glazing piece put on waster slab. If glaze runs then grind off that piece -with whatever grider you have. I use dremil gridners for small detail work -cordless 4 inch ones for meduim work-bench and 7 inch griber for heavy duty work-

You a soft grinding clay body for waster slab (not porcelain)

Archived