Damp box

I'm a little fuzzy on the purpose of a damp box.  Is the intention simply to hold the moisture in the clay at it's current level or to increase the moisture content?  Is the idea to hold or increase the moisture indefinite?   Come back to a piece after a 2 week vacation and find it just like you left?  Expectations, please.

53 minutes ago, CactusPots said:

I'm a little fuzzy on the purpose of a damp box.  Is the intention simply to hold the moisture in the clay at it's current level or to increase the moisture content?  Is the idea to hold or increase the moisture indefinite?   Come back to a piece after a 2 week vacation and find it just like you left?  Expectations, please.

I've not made one myself just yet but apparently, yes, indefinite moisture maintenance.

54 minutes ago, CactusPots said:

Yes to both questions...in the short term It will maintain the moisture level of the pieces you put in it. In the long term it can actually increase the level of moisture in your pieces depending on the amount of water you saturate the plaster with. I am currently running an experiment on a couple of yunomi that I put in my damp box back in 2013. While the pieces are currently leather hard, they are showing signs of deterioration, that is, they are becoming a little brittle around the rims but are thoroughly moist. I put about a cup of water in it about every 3 months.

JohnnyK

11 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Yes, plaster of Paris will work for a damp box, you can find at any hardware store :)

Thank you!  I have heard about both pottery plaster and plaster of Paris hoping plaster of Paris would be great to use because it's easier to purchase and cheaper!!!!

Stay safe everyone!!

Archived