QotW: In these troubled times, have you come to any new revelations, or changed plans for your pottery moving forward?

Folks, it has taken me a while to come up with a new QotW, Sorry, I just didn't have a question in mind. However, a fe things have come up that made me think about the future, and how things have gotten to where priorities are being set where we never would have thought they would go. So. . . QotW: In these troubled times, have you come to any new revelations, or changed plans for your pottery moving forward? 

This week, I had an email from one of my 20+ year customers for Communion sets. These are usually sent to seminary schools as a special award to new graduates going into the ministry. They are given as part of the graduation ceremony. As you have probably guessed no ceremony this year. I will be sending the sets directly to the recipients of the award. Wonder how they feel having only the award, and not the ceremony and celebration of their accomplishments? 

So I usually send these in a single 14"X14"X14" box filled with popcorn with chalice and paten wrapped in bubble wrap. The box is highly compressed and taped to seal it. I have only lost a few pieces over the years, and those only when my son packed one year when I was away. At any rate these boxes came from Walmart, and were great to keep the price down on shipping. This year Walmart did not have the boxes in stock, and haven't for weeks. Shopping on line the boxes would be shipped 3 weeks later than ordered as shipping was by priority of need?? I imagine food, and masks/gloves etc. were shipped first. Interesting.  I did find an Amazon supplier that had two day shipping so I'm good. However this is at double the price, and lots of 25. No big deal, but it does point out some of the new realities we may be dealing with. 

I am glad to be sequestered in the shop, and at home, my wife and I enjoy our time reading, working around the house, watching a select few televisioon shows and cooking. This has also led to an idea for microwave egg pots. We have been microwaving eggbeaters lately as they are so fluffy, we mix in onions, peppers, a little cheese and in about 1-3 minutes we have perfect eggs. 

So what have you noticed or had revealed about the coronavirus times? QotW: In these troubled times, have you come to any new revelations, or changed plans for your pottery moving forward?

best, 

Pres

I have spent more time surfing the internet and the forums. I have been watching videos on throwing and have learned lots of new tricks, the last one I watched was how to throw a domed lid. Will have to try that on the new Skutt wheel I purchased and brought home across the border 2 days before it was shut down.

It sure is a pleasure to have a quality wheel to work with instead of the  powered kick wheel, I find my work has improved .

Life here has not changed much for us except we do not go into town to shop as often or go out for our weekly dinner night. ( not necessarily a bad thing, I get bored of their menu ).

Most of our sales get mailed out and has not changed much.

A well built motorized wheel is really a step up from the motorized kick. I still miss some of the good things like the timed gradual slowing during a pull, or the large splash, or the ability to moove the wheel with the foot while decorating, but. .. .  Glad to hear you got the new wheel, I am certain your skill level will increase greatly as you get into it.

best,

Pres

A motorized wheel is an incrediable time saver over a kick wheel even a motorized one .

Enjoy the freedom. And now your leg can be the same size as your other one.

I have thought a few things may happen in the future once the Governor (whom we pay attention to in this state way more than the anyone else) lets businesses on the non essential side open again as well as the restaurants .I have a wholesale account at a popular one.I know the shops and Galleries will all want pots all at once. I'm planning now for that time. No one knows when this will be so I have zero idea on timing -i just know that my consignment outlets who get pots for free will want more .Just before the closure of galleries I got a large consignment order from my locally biggest selling consignment outlet. If this happens during the summer time it will be more than say spring time-if its fall then its a xmas deal and they will be even more greedy on the orders as the potsare free. As to wholesale I'm thinking depeending on how flush they are feeling the orders could me meduim size.I'm doing some stockpiling now for this situtaion in the future.
I have a large  order now for a few months from now-Its all made in the green state(finiskhed today) but needs bisquing and glaze fired.Its a simi annual order for many years now. That gallery is closed and the open date is a unknown as is everything  else but he wants the pots in a few months either way.Locally I have 5 food/market outlets that are still selling pottery but at a reduced rate.Folks still need food and pots are hard to find elsewhere so they still sell ok there.With the slow down of the economy I'm planning on a long period of time selling very little. Its a time I plan on making pots for the future. They do not go bad.

I have a plate full of projects and our acre likes to get mowed  alot in spring and garden needs planted as well as all the projects that I put off that now can get done .
As of this week I have worked harder than most weeks-anymore free time and it will kill me.I'm staying isolated as its my age group although my health is great (bad wrist and hand )but good lungs and no disease except a type A workaholic. I have yet to see that the virus preys more on that condition than others . I do have blood Type A+ but its only a small uptick on death rate on what I read.Since I;m usually at home all the time this seems just fine now staying home  all the time.I shipped out some pottery packages this week via UPs which is normal here-just put my flag out on fence and they take the box of pots away.

I do not want to feel overwehelmed when orders pick up so I'm planning for this now. I'm box up pots like crazy soon and will be ready when they are needed

.My other thought is when the world is ready for travel once again I want to get back to being underwater in Bali with a camera like I was last fall. I have a few diver friends all with the same idea and If I have the stock it will not matter time wise as much when I can go. So thats another driver to box up work NOW.Travel is a long ways off I know but it will come back. We just canceled a long planned trip to Iceland  in June where you can fire pots with geothermal power.Nothing like fire and Ice .

Edited by Mark C.

One thing that has popped up this week is more than usual one off small orders mostly mailed out a few UPS .They are coming thru e-mail or phone calls. Like today a call came in and I shipped out a garlic keeper to San Diego via usps all thru texting today as that was her prefered way to comunicate . Some like e-mail some want to talk. Two huge mugs (36-42 onces) this week as well to far away places.

Yesterday my local gallery called (they are closed) with a customer wanting a 8 square plate set and was wondering if I stocked that?

She also said the gallery was closed but my pots where the only thing still selling mail order from them-I felt good about that news.

Folks still want stuff and they are finding ways to find it. Since travel is out they are calling and texting and e-mailing.

I try to never use my personal cell phone # for business as I need a firewall from customers is some areas of my life. My cell phone is one of those walls

My wife hates business on the weekends when customers call I the am. On the land line.Slowling this is dissipating over time.It still happens-They call at all hours (I have said many times customers are clueless). For example I got a call a few days ago asking if I sell cones . Because  the local ceramic shop is closed (they still have a pick up service) but you have to leave a message.I often get calls on clay or lessons or can you fire out stuff.

Edited by Mark C.

• Pres unpinned, pinned and unpinned this topic