Anyone have experience with the tabletop wheels?

I’m looking to purchase a wheel for my studio and I’m wondering if anyone has used the Brent or Shimpo tabletop wheels? I don’t need a particularly powerful wheel, and I like the idea that I could stand, plus the price point is much more reasonable.

My question is, has anyone used these? What was your experience?  Would a small studio like mine find it effective?

I tried one at the pottery store. The shimpo aspire... I think if you haven't used a normal wheel it might be fine, but it didn't feel great to use since I was used to wheels with more power.  It also found it awkward to get situated with it, but I was just dinking around in the store.  Since you mention you're making a studio, maybe try one out before you buy, I wouldn't consider it a studio wheel.

Try it before you buy it for sure. They work, they're just different than a full size wheel. I've used the Speedball Artista, and it works well. You have have to watch how you apply pressure on the clay so you don't slide the wheel around, but I've thrown 10 pounds on an Artista and it handled it pretty well.

(plus the price point is much more reasonable)

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I feel they are demo wheels only-no poweer except for very small work-which is limiting

Whatever you get get one with a foot pedal for speed control

On 2/26/2020 at 2:23 PM, Mirandakristene said:

Would a small studio like mine find it effective?

what does 'like mine' mean, what are you using it for? Like someone mentioned I hear about them mostly as portable options for demonstration. It would need a lot less space than a normal wheel so I could see someone going that way if they were just using it every once in a while for an occasional pot. Everyone that has posted so far is a studio potter and they do throwing sessions,  throwing a lot of pots at a time as well as larger pots. I don't think a table top wheel would be something they would ever use, maybe someone that actually uses one on a regular basis will see this thread and post. 

If money is a concern you might take a look at the speedball clay boss. It can be had for $650 shipped and I think it is used in a lot of classrooms becuase it is a well made full size wheel and pretty cheap compared to other ones.  Options that cost $1200-$1500 have features that make them good choices but the Clay Boss really is a perfectly fine wheel for the vast majority of side gig potters.  

http://www.clay-king.com/pottery_wheels/speedball_pottery_wheels/speedball_clay_boss_pottery_wheel.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAnfjyBRBxEiwA-EECLBVKDG4ufwP3V9OsuE2DZ2FaKZvxzq6W-WxXw-t3vpmusIsqDDEORRoC7L0QAvD_BwE

edit: whatever you do don't buy one of the cheap Amazon wheels from china that have popped up. They are not really suitable for anything and a waste of money. Personally I think they are essentially a scam but that's just an opinion from looking at the lisings. 

• neilestrick changed the title to Anyone have experience with the tabletop wheels?
On 3/3/2020 at 11:19 AM, Stephen said:

what does 'like mine' mean, what are you using it for? Like someone mentioned I hear about them mostly as portable options for demonstration. It would need a lot less space than a normal wheel so I could see someone going that way if they were just using it every once in a while for an occasional pot. Everyone that has posted so far is a studio potter and they do throwing sessions,  throwing a lot of pots at a time as well as larger pots. I don't think a table top wheel would be something they would ever use, maybe someone that actually uses one on a regular basis will see this thread and post. 

If money is a concern you might take a look at the speedball clay boss. It can be had for $650 shipped and I think it is used in a lot of classrooms becuase it is a well made full size wheel and pretty cheap compared to other ones.  Options that cost $1200-$1500 have features that make them good choices but the Clay Boss really is a perfectly fine wheel for the vast majority of side gig potters.  

http://www.clay-king.com/pottery_wheels/speedball_pottery_wheels/speedball_clay_boss_pottery_wheel.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAnfjyBRBxEiwA-EECLBVKDG4ufwP3V9OsuE2DZ2FaKZvxzq6W-WxXw-t3vpmusIsqDDEORRoC7L0QAvD_BwE

edit: whatever you do don't buy one of the cheap Amazon wheels from china that have popped up. They are not really suitable for anything and a waste of money. Personally I think they are essentially a scam but that's just an opinion from looking at the lisings. 

Thanks for the info! Just had my first wheel-throwing session in a class recently, and I liked it, but the wheels I see for sale are way out of my budget. I'll grab the Speedball Clay Boss when I can, and not get ripped by the $250 Amazon vendors thanks to y'all! (I've also been reading up on here for a while to gauge my interest and learn a bit before spending any money).

1 hour ago, Pepperhead said:

Just had my first wheel-throwing session in a class recently, and I liked it

Perhaps you should consider continuing with access to wheels via classes or community studios while saving up your pennies, and in the meantime develop and use good hand-building skills. You can make wonderful objects, including bowls of all sorts, if you master the techniques, and slab work (plus using slump/hump molds) would readily lend itself to a small home studio set-up.  If you had a high quality used banding wheel (like  a Shimpo on a stand--heavy/smooth, & you can twirl it fast-not the kind that are flat on the table) , it can work quite well for symmetrical forming, trimming and finishing.  Obviously not like a throwing wheel, but maybe fun/useful in the interim. 

23 hours ago, LeeU said:

Perhaps you should consider continuing with access to wheels via classes or community studios while saving up your pennies, and in the meantime develop and use good hand-building skills. You can make wonderful objects, including bowls of all sorts, if you master the techniques, and slab work (plus using slump/hump molds) would readily lend itself to a small home studio set-up.  If you had a high quality used banding wheel (like  a Shimpo on a stand--heavy/smooth, & you can twirl it fast-not the kind that are flat on the table) , it can work quite well for symmetrical forming, trimming and finishing.  Obviously not like a throwing wheel, but maybe fun/useful in the interim. 

Thanks for your advice. I am the type that hates being watched, and am out in the boonies. I would have a minimum of 80-mile round trip to visit a studio. The class I took was a simple starter (going back in two weeks to paint the bowl I made). I should be able to afford the Speedball wheel at the beginning of the month, along with some clay, tools and what-not. Found a firing service in Austin, so I can slowly save up for my own kiln (and I should know which size kiln I need by that time). Will definitely grab a banding wheel when I can, too.

Sorry to high-jack the topic!

Archived