The Great Pottery Throw Down

The Great Pottery Throw Down has returned to British TV this week.  It's no longer on the BBC, but is now on Channel4.  I don't know if it can be watched from outside the UK, but if you want to try, here's a link.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-great-pottery-throw-down

I'll post a list of challenges if anyone wants to know and can't/can't be bothered to watch.  It was mildly entertaining, and frustrating at the same time, as it has been in previous years.

57 minutes ago, Chilly said:

I don't know if it can be watched from outside the UK

Thanks for the update, Chilly...Tried to register but it is NOT available outside the UK...I guess we'll just have to wait until it comes out on YouTube

On 1/10/2020 at 7:25 PM, Benzine said:

I do wonder how they are going to keep coming up with new throwing challenges though.  

I thought the same.

They went back to egg cups thrown off the hump for the "10 minute throw as many as you can" challenge

On 1/11/2020 at 10:58 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I watched most of the first episode on YouTube yesterday. I live in a semi arid region, which I gather Stoke is not. I have so many questions about the need for a drying room if they’re getting s cracks. 

ha ha.  Stoke is definitely not an arid area.  I think the drying room is as much about getting too much done in too short a space of time. 

In our own studios we can wait until the clay has firmed up, or wait a week or two for it to dry completely, they're trying to get it all done in a weekend.

More should be said about that, but then again it is an "entertainment" programme, not educational.  

1 hour ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I finished putting handles on some mugs last night, about 9 pm. They’re half bone dry right now, 12 hours later. My phone says the humidity right now is 58% and I think that’s maybe optimistic.  

Wow, it takes an entire week to get trimmable here, another 2 for bone dry.  That's only for 9 months of the year though. We have great summers :lol:

14 hours ago, akilspots said:

the thing that always gets me on this show is people never wearing masks when sanding or using dry materials. 

On year they were shaking alumina under everything before firing.  I was cringing, and holding my breath trying not to breathe it in.

Archived