It doesn't sound like you're repairing a broken pot. If you just want to re-do the surface decoration and the piece won't be used for food or drink, there are non-fired as well as oven fired paints for ceramic and glass that you could use, finished, perhaps, with a clear acrylic spray. 

I would not recommend putting an older piece back into a kiln unless you know for certain what the original clay, glazes and firing temperature were.

You also have the problem of the glazes not being compatible.  I found some cheap plates and decided to try glazing a pattern on them.   They looked perfect when I took them out of the kiln,  since they were a test I stood them up on a shelf.   About a year later I starting hearing a binging noise and a shard of glaze landed next to me,  the added glaze pattern was flying off the plates.  Denice

22 hours ago, Denice said:

You also have the problem of the glazes not being compatible.  I found some cheap plates and decided to try glazing a pattern on them.   They looked perfect when I took them out of the kiln,  since they were a test I stood them up on a shelf.   About a year later I starting hearing a binging noise and a shard of glaze landed next to me,  the added glaze pattern was flying off the plates.  Denice

same thing will happen to glass. It takes a year or three but it will more likely than not separate and fall/pop off. 

Archived