Handmade?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every form and technique has its little tricks and such that allow it to happen.  The knowledge and trial and error to figure these tricks out is what makes a pot successful.  Bonsai or platter, doesnt matter.  

I've watched the videos of the masters in every discipline, and they have their procedures and idiosyncrasies.  

The success rates are the same.  A bonsai pot maker does what they have to, to make a bonsai pot.  A platter maker has what they do as well.  Jumping into a discipline head first you will find some things more difficult than others, there is no magic pill to making any form.  Just hard work and years of practice.

On 4/12/2020 at 6:38 AM, Sorcery said:

As a near exclusive Bonsai Potter, having begun pottery via Bonsai....

@CactusPots hows the bonsai potting coming? 

Sorce

Sorcery,

I'm just going to stick to my original stuff, I think.  I got a big meh on this one.  My plants are just so much more unusual than bonsai that it just doesn't look right.  Again, it's the context.  Oh look, a cactus in a bonsai pot.  I think the general concept I'm working towards is either the pot isn't particularly noticeable or it's part of the overall composition.  What I find get the best reception in my crowd is stuff that is original and no one has ever seen anything like it.

image.png.4884f7f1289a9e18bc1569e86c356c80.pngimage.png.d3ed83c90f2143b3910f57df81ee121d.png

13 hours ago, Sorcery said:

Those are both dope!

Is the top one for sale?

Sorce

Referring to the finished piece?  I probably won't sell it, there's a flaw (crack) on the bottom of a foot.

Actually, I'm having a good deal of trouble with this form and my construction techniques.  I'm not sure I want to spend the time to work out the issues.

We've had quite the conversation here about selling flawed product.  Since our (yours and mine) work is intended to be functional and the flaw doesn't detract from the functionality, I don't really have a problem selling it.  The only problem is that most of my sales are wholesale and I don't want my retailer to be in the position of being confronted by a disappointed buyer.  So it can't go there.  One of my other big users gave the pot a meh also.  Bonsai just isn't my market and I doubt I'll do the work to make it so.

• 1 year later...

It can probably be considered handmade (a candle or soap poured into a mould is still considered handmade), but it is not sculpted or one of a kind. I'd probably rather not use moulds, but if I were to, I would state so, along with whether it was pre-made or my own.

As for the off-shoot subject of people appreciating hand-made, it seems to me to have been increasing in popularity within the past decade, especially with millennial hipsters.

Archived