Donated Old Ceramic Stains

mrcasey

This week, someone donated a number of old glaze pigments to our community studio.

Some of the jars in which the pigments come have labels; some don't.  The jars with labels
have the names of chemical companies and the names of the stains.  Some also have dates of 
manufacture and a few of the elements in the stain.  However, none of them have the specific 
chemical formulae of the active ingredients.  

Because some of the manufacture dates go back to the late 40's, I'm concerned about use of 
dangerous ingredients.  In particular, I'm concerned about lead, barium, cadmium, and even radioactive 
material.  There are no reds, but there are some pinks, yellows, and oranges. 

Has anybody used these?  There are many more, but I've only take pictures of these.  

IMG_4532.JPG

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4534.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg

IMG_4536.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4539.jpg

For the stains that have labels with the ID number for the stain and its manufacturer you should be able to trace back to the manufacturer for composition data to guide your decisions.  Search the internet for listings of stain compositions.  

For those without such information, follow Neil's suggestion. 

LT 

59 minutes ago, Magnolia Mud Research said:

For the stains that have labels with the ID number for the stain and its manufacturer you should be able to trace back to the manufacturer for composition data to guide your decisions.  Search the internet for listings of stain compositions.  

For those without such information, follow Neil's suggestion. 

LT 

I think maybe wiser to just dispose of them. No way to know what has been contaminated or not in the last sixty years or so even if you find the original compositions and the sheets accurately represent everything in them.

9 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Drakenfeld made great colored pencils in the 70s-since 1869 what could go wrong. Many of you young pups where not around back then.

Ok I'm in Bali and feeling great-spending most of everyday under the sea.

Ostrich behaviours??

Share some photos on your return please

A month before Xmas madness what are you thinking!

1 hour ago, liambesaw said:

He has it covered by some good friends :). The world needs more good friends.

Indeed!

Mark does absolute heaps for lots of folk I gather.

I just like to pester him a bit.

Son here surfed in Bali ,dodging plastic and other discarded stuff a prob but Mark will be way beneath the waves in surreal surroundings.

Babs Bali banned single use plastic bags just like many places in California like my home town and plastic trash is down a bit here from my last visit 

its a baby step but a good direction to be heading and yes I’ll post some underwater shots

dove 3 tanks today = 4.5 hours underwater 

wish it where more 

Archived